X

Have feedback / suggestions? Let us know!

NFL Dallas Cowboys

Dallas Cowboys Part Ways With Dave Campo, Will Let Others Go

The Dallas Cowboys have officially made a change to the team’s coaching staff in 2012. On Monday, the Cowboys informed secondary coach Dave Campo that he would not be re-signed. Campo’s contract expires this offseason and, thankfully, his days in Dallas are over.

Campo told the media last week that he hoped to return to Dallas in 2012, but he’s now the first member of the Cowboys’ struggling secondary to go. Campo was set to be replaced before the 2011 season when Dallas offered former Cowboys cornerback and then-Pittsburgh Steelers assistant coach Ray Horton Campo’s job. Campo was only brought back when Horton agreed to become the Arizona Cardinals’ defensive coordinator instead.

Campo’s secondary turned in one of the worst performances in franchise history this past season, allowing an average of 244 passing yards per game. The Cowboys are expected to re-sign assistant secondary coach Brett Maxie as the unit’s only coach for 2012.

Dallas isn’t done; the Cowboys need to make changes in the secondary personnel-wise and Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett alluded to that on Monday.

“[Cornerback] is certainly an area we have to improve, but we have to improve on defense throughout,” Garrett said. “We’ll evaluate each individual player, the schemes that we use and try to get better.”

Follow Jeric Griffin on Twitter @JericGriffin