Dallas Cowboys Will Split $10 Million Penalty 50/50 Over Two Seasons

The Dallas Cowboys were hit hard with a $10 million cap penalty on Monday for the restructuring of Miles Austin’s contract last off-season. The NFL gave the Cowboys the option to distribute the penalty over the next two seasons and Dallas has decided how it will split the setback. Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said Thursday Dallas will take a $5 million deduction in 2012 and the same amount again in 2013 – a 50/50 split.

[blackbirdpie url="https://twitter.com/#!/calvinwatkins/status/180322462171529216"]

The Cowboys signed cornerback Brandon Car to a 5-year, $50 million contract on Wednesday, but his base salary for 2012 will only be $1.2 million. Dallas will pay him $14.3 million in 2013, so the restructuring of Orlando Scandrick’s contract earlier this week was vital to working through the penalty.

Dallas also signed fullback Lawrence Vickers on Wednesday to replace Tony Fiammetta, who the Cowboys did not tender. Joining Vickers is fellow Texas native Brodney Pool, a former New York Jets safety. Dallas also added a solid backup quarterback in Kyle Orton and then some help to protect him and Tony Romo in former Carolina Panthers guard Mackenzy Bernadeau.

The Cowboys’ free agent spending has been moderate, but effective thus far in the 2012 off-season. Jerry Jones has been promising a free agent splash like this for years and it’s finally coming to fruition.

“Obviously, getting the cap hit, you have to deal with it and the ramifications of that but it’s not going to stop us from being able to do the things we have to do to be a championship caliber football team in 2012,” Stephen Jones said.

Follow Jeric Griffin on Twitter @JericGriffin or on Facebook at Jeric Griffin – Rant Sports


Around the Web