Who Will Win The Buffalo Bills Backup Quarterback Job?
When the Buffalo Bills went out and signed free-agent Vince Young to a one year contract earlier this off-season it was widely assumed by fans that he would jump right in to the second quarterback role on the depth chart.
That however has not been the case so far as it has been reported that Tyler Thigpen (last year’s backup to starter Ryan Fitzpatrick) has been taking the majority of the snaps with the second team, with Young rotating in.
As for the other possible quarterback on the roster, quarterback/wide receiver Brad Smith, Head Coach Chan Gailey already addressed his situation saying, ” “He’ll go into the season, unless something major changes which I don’t foresee, he’ll be the third quarterback so he’s got to have enough quarterback knowledge to get you out of a game.”
That leaves the two quarterbacks who have split time with the second team as the primary competition for that backup role. And with the way Fitzpatrick struggled because of injury the second half of last year, it will be important to have a solid backup in place.
Here is a look at the career recaps and some numbers for both Young and Thigpen
- Played for three teams (Tennessee, Philadelphia, and now Buffalo)
- Played in 80 games
- 755 completions on 1,304 attempts (57.9%)
- 8,964 career passing yards
- 46 passing touchdowns with 51 interceptions
- 74.4 career quarterback rating
- 1,459 rushing yards on 282 attempts with 12 rushing touchdowns
- Played for three teams (Kansas City, Miami, and now Buffalo)
- Played in 25 games
- 272 completions on 504 attempts (54%)
- 3,162 career passing yards
- 21 touchdowns with 18 interceptions
- 72.5 career quarterback rating
- 470 rushing yards on 78 attempts with three rushing touchdowns
While Thigpen has a few things going for him (been in the offense longer, better touchdown to interception ratio), to me it is no contest who will be stepping under center if Fitz gets hurt, Vince Young.
Not only does Young have the overwhelmingly better numbers, he also has been a winner in college and the NFL, and has proven that he can make big and clutch plays when his team needs them. The quicker they hand the second team reigns over to Young the better I think it is for the Bills.
Follow me on twitter @jeffsattora