Unfortunately for Bills fans who were interested in the receiver, Gordon coming to Western New York for the Bills will not be a reality.
The Cleveland Browns chose to select the receiver in the second round of the NFL‘s Supplemental Draft today. This was a little bit of a surprise with Gordon going that early, as most thought he would slip to the third round in the draft.
Using that second round pick on Gordon forfeits the Browns second round selection in next year’s regular NFL Draft.
With Gordon no longer being an option for Buffalo they will continue to work and develop the receivers they have. Working hard to slot a player into that second receiver role behind star number one Stevie Johnson.
The current receivers on the Bills roster going after that second receiver slot includes a list of young guys who are looking to prove themselves in the league in Donald Jones, Marcus Easley and rookie third-round pick T.J. Graham.
Here is a quick breakdown of the three main candidates:
- 6 feet tall, 209 lb, and 24 years old from Youngstown State
- last season- 23 receptions for 231 yards and one touchdown
- career stats- 41 receptions for 444 yards and two touchdowns
- 6 feet-2 inches tall, 217 lb, and 24 years old from Connecticut
- last season (rookie)- 0 catches
- 5 feet, 11 inches tall, 188 lb
- rookie third round selection from N.C. State (69th overall)
Looking at just the numbers, it seems like Jones could have a solid edge to start camp. Mainly because he has NFL experience under his belt unlike the other two. It will be interesting to see who steps up to the plate as camp goes on.
Follow me on twitter @jeffsattora