Washington Redskins vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Storylines To Follow
The Washington Redskins‘ final preseason game is tonight. Here are the storylines to follow:
1. Kirk Cousins, you’re up : After Rex Grossman put on an impressive show last week against the Indianapolis Colts (127 yds, 2 TDs) Cousins will need to make his case tonight. The backup QB spot is up for grabs.
Head coach Mike Shanahan said last week that Robert Griffin III will not play tonight (I just heard what you said–Yes you’ll still watch the game because you’re a Redskins’ fan, don’t say that).
2. New kicker, just like that: Bill Cundiff replaces Graham Gano. I just wrote a piece about how Graham Gano could breathe a sigh of relief–Guess not!
According to the Washington Post, what sealed the deal for Cundiff was he didn’t have to compete for the job: It was his for the taking. The Redskins had just cut Neil Rackers earlier this week.
3. Alfred Morris, a starter?: Out of all the surprises at the running back position, Alfred Morris has managed to stand out…just because he’s healthy! (and because he’s a good rusher) He may land the job by default.
Tim Hightower broke ground last week just getting on the field. They’ve got to call his number tonight or it’s his job to lose.
4. You’ve got that awkward feeling? : New defensive backs coach Raheem Morris will be looking at some old friends tonight.
Once the head coach for the Bucs, he left for the Burgundy and Gold after Tampa Bay fired him. Working at your new job and seeing your old boss across the street, the only thing you want to do is show him how much better you’re doing (their loss?).
5. A familiar face, now gone: No more Cooley Zone? It was one of the more surprising cuts this week as the Redskins cut the tight end from their roster.
Up to this point, they had cut mostly fat. I felt like they cut into the muscle letting him go, but Fred Davis, franchised, wasn’t going to be the No.2. Cooley wanted to start and it wasn’t going to be the reality. I hope he does find work, because he’s a talented player.
However, he’s been with the Redskins so long I’m not sure how that would look–you know, seeing him in another jersey.
The Rant: FINALLY, preseason is over. Next week, the season begins!
Ricky Allen is a Washington Redskins Blogger with Rant Sports. Follow him on Twitter @UltimateRedskin.
Three Carolina Panthers who will make a splash this preseason
Thursday morning, the Carolina Panthers arrived at Spartanburg, South Carolina for their first day of training camp. The team, whose home games take place at the stadium in Charlotte, has been coming to Wofford College in Spartanburg for its preseason festivities for years now. But for the casual, even hardcore, fan, there's a lot to keep track of during training camp. Things can move quickly, and a lot is on the line. Read More
Four players who will lead the Atlanta Falcons to success in 2015
If the Atlanta Falcons are going to accomplish the type of feats many of us are hoping they will, they're going to need some stars to step up and have some big-time seasons. Just being good won't cut it. If they're going to do it, though, these four players need to be superstars: Read More