The Star’s Five Corners: Dallas Cowboys vs Miami Dolphins
- I’ll start off with the obvious; Stephen McGee didn’t do enough to warrant a spot on the roster, in my opinion. His receivers failed to bail him out on some pretty good throws, specifically Kevin Ogletree. Ogletree had a couple of drops on some well-placed balls and ended up with no catches on the night. Rudy Carpenter is not the answer at the third quarterback either; he should be a practice squad guy and not much more.
- Rookie receiver Tim Benford finally registered a catch this preseason, but in regards to the third receiver battle and earning a roster spot it’s too little, too late. Danny Coale didn’t do much, but did have one pretty impressive 13-yard catch. Andre Holmes had one 32-yard catch on four targets. None of the receivers really made you say wow. My final prediction for the receiving corps is Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, Dwayne Harris, Cole Beasley, Ogletree and Coale.
- Lance Dunbar proved that he can be a factor at running back and ended the night with 105 yards on 15 carries and one touchdown. Jamaize Olawale got some late game action and ended the night with 53 yards on seven carries. Phillip Tanner finished the night with 48 yards on nine carries and one touchdown and looked every bit the player who won the third running back spot last preseason. I think Tanner did enough to retain his spot on the roster, but it’s going to be hard to let go of Dunbar who offers game-changing speed.
- Orie Lemon, Alex Albright and Baraka Atkins all showed up to play today and proved to be very versatile by playing inside and outside linebacker in some defensive alignments. Mana Silva seems to have earned a roster spot with another impressive performance. Tyrone Crawford may have been late to the party, but at least he got there and recorded his first sack as a pro. Let’s hope he can get more sacks as he continues to learn the position and gain experience.
- Teddy Williams sealed his fate by losing a fumble on a kickoff return, already down on the depth chart. If you can’t contribute on special teams you’re not going to make the team and Williams can’t and hasn’t. Akwasi Owusu-Ansah did nothing once again and shouldn’t make the roster. Going into this game I wanted to see Adrian Hamilton display the pass-rushing abilities he’s known for, but he didn’t and because of that now faces getting cut.
The Cowboys must now release players as they cut down to the league mandated 53-man roster. They will address which eight players to put on the practice squad and start preparing for the season opener on September 5th against the defending champion New York Giants.
Follow Jesus on Twitter @SSgtFlo1
Breaking Down Seattle Seahawks' Opponents for 2015
The Seattle Seahawks look to three-peat as NFC champions, but first must fight through these 2015 opponents. Read More
5 Prospects San Diego Should Target in First Round
The San Diego Chargers must improve two critical weaknesses in the NFL draft if they hope to finally give Philip Rivers enough support to make a run at the Super Bowl. Read More