With the NFL preseason and training camp firmly in the rear-view mirror, the New York Jets have made their roster cuts, getting their roster down to the mandatory 53-man limit required for the start of the regular season this month.
Twenty-two players were cut on Friday, as the opening day roster has begun to take shape. While it’s understandably exciting for the 53 players who have initially made the team, it’s not time for them to celebrate just yet.
For the players who just narrowly made it to September 1, their spot on the roster is far from guaranteed by the time September 9 rolls around, when the season starts for real.
Plenty of players around the league will survive Friday’s cuts, only to be roster casualties on Saturday or Sunday.
With hundreds of players currently on waivers, the league-wide roster shuffling is far from over. Nevertheless, here are the 53 men who can call themselves 2012 New York Jets: (rookies in italics; asterisks for projected starters)
- Quarterbacks (3): Mark Sanchez*, Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy
- Running Backs (3): Shonn Greene*, Bilal Powell, Joe McKnight
- Fullbacks (1): John Conner*
- Wide Receivers (6): Santonio Holmes*, Stephen Hill*, Jeremy Kerley, Chaz Schilens, Patrick Turner, Clyde Gates (claimed on waivers, taking the roster spot of safety Antonio Allen)
- Tight Ends (3): Dustin Keller*, Jeff Cumberland,
Dedrick Epps(Epps has been replaced by Konrad Reuland)
- Offensive Linemen (9): D’Brickashaw Ferguson*, Matt Slauson*, Nick Mangold*, Brandon Moore*, Austin Howard*, Vladimir Ducasse, Jason Smith, Caleb Schlauderaff, Dennis Landolt
- Defensive Linemen (7): Sione Pouha*, Muhammad Wilkerson*, Mike DeVito*, Quinton Coples, Kenrick Ellis, Damon Harrison,
Marcus Dixon, Isaako Aaitui, Marcus Dixon
- Linebackers (9): Calvin Pace*, Bart Scott*, David Harris*, Bryan Thomas*, Aaron Maybin, Demario Davis, Josh Mauga, Garret McIntyre, Nick Bellore
- Safeties (4): LaRon Landry*, Yeremiah Bell*, Eric Smith, Josh Bush,
- Cornerbacks (5): Darrelle Revis*, Antonio Cromartie*, Kyle Wilson, Ellis Lankster, Isaiah Trufant
- Placekickers (1): Nick Folk*
- Punters (1):
T.J. ConleyRobert Malone*
- Long Snappers (1): Tanner Purdum*
A majority of these players will still be members of the Jets’ 53-man roster when Week 1 rolls around. However, not all of them will be so lucky. The roster bubble could burst at any time.
Update: The Jets have claimed three off the waiver wire and made three corresponding roster moves.