Top 50 NFL Players Halfway Through 2012 NFL Season
Top 50 Player In NFL So Far This Season
We are halfway through the NFL season, which means there all types of lists out there; not only in the blog world but also on sports television networks. One of the best sites to follow if you’re a football fan is Rant Sports and we like to keep and set the trends here. So with the halfway mark upon us I have taken the liberty of ranking the top 50 players in the NFL so far this season.
Some of these names may surprise you and some of them you may have never heard of and that’s ok too. All you need to know is that these guys have been getting it done. So this is my .02 on who are the best players in the game right now. The list has eight quarterbacks, 10 offensive linemen and only one Dallas Cowboy and Philadelphia Eagle to make the list. The San Francisco 49ers leads the way with five players on the list. There are five teams unrepresented; no Oakland Raiders, New York Jets, Jacksonville Jaguars or Tennessee Titans players made the cut.
Peyton Manning is back where he belongs, among the top players in the game and there may be a surprise as to who is the top quarterback in the game through the halfway point on the season. Please note that I did not include players who are on injured reserve into account but otherwise, every player was considered. Did your favorite player make the list? There’s only one way to find out, enjoy the list!
50. Sebatian Vollmer: RT - New England Patriots
49. Reggie Wayne: WR – Indianapolis Colts
48. Kyle Williams: DT – Buffalo Bills
47. Mike Pouncey: C – Miami Dolphins
46. Drew Brees: QB – New Orleans Saints
45. Branden Albert: LT – Kansas City Chiefs
44. Robert Griffin III: QB – Washington Redskins
43. Chad Greenway: LB – Minnesota Vikings
42. Doug Martin: RB – Tampa Bay Buccaneers
41. DeMarcus Ware: OLB – Dallas Cowboys
The biggest name here is Doug Martin. The rookie has exploded the past few weeks and doesn’t look to be slowing down. Kyle Williams may not be a name you know but he’s been one of the best defensive tackles in the game for a few years now. Drew Brees has rebounded nicely from a rough start and RG III also makes the list.
40. Heath Miller: TE – Pittsburgh Steelers
39. Vernon Davis: TE – San Francisco 49ers
38. Vincent Jackson: WR – Tampa Bay Buccaneers
37. Justin Houston: OLB – Kansas City Chiefs
36. Mike Iupati: G – San Francisco 49ers
35. Eric Weddle: S – San Diego Chargers
34. Jason Pierre-Paul: OLB – New York Giants
33. Lance Briggs: LB – Chicago Bears
32. Richard Sherman: CB – Seattle Seahawks
31. Daryl Washington: LB – Arizona Cardinals
Richard Sherman is coming on as one of the best corners in the game and a couple of safety shows up. Vincent Jackson and Heath Miller are having great years. Sack master JPP makes the list and Washington has been a stud for the Cardinals.
30. Trent Williams: LT – Washington Redskins
29. Robert Quinn: DE – St. Louis Rams
28. Eli Manning: QB – New York Giants
27. Charles Johnson: DE – Carolina Panthers
26. Marshall Yanda: G – Baltimore Ravens
25. Evan Mathis: G – Philadelphia Eagles
24. Joe Staley: LT – San Francisco 49ers
23. Marshawn Lynch: RB – Seattle Seahawks
22. Ryan Clady: LT – Denver Broncos
21. Arian Foster: RB – Houston Texans
Finally so Trent Williams of the Redskins is playing like the high draft pick they wanted and another 49ers lineman makes the cut. Robert Quinn emerges as one of the best DE’s in the NFL and Ryan Clady returns to be one of the best tackles in the game. A couple of the league’s best running backs appear.
20. Ben Roethlisberger: QB – Pittsburgh Steelers
19. Geno Atkins: DT – Cincinnati Bengals
18. Clay Matthews: OLB – Green Bay Packers
17. Duane Brown: LT – Houston Texans
16. Rob Gronkowski: TE – New England Patriots
15. NaVorro Bowman: LB – San Francisco 49ers
14. Roddy White: WR – Atlanta Falcons
13. Peyton Manning: QB – Denver Broncos
12. Patrick Willis: LB – San Francisco 49ers
11. Aaron Rodgers: QB – Green Bay Packers
10. Brandon Marshall: WR – Chicago Bears
Peyton Manning is back and so is his place inside the top 15 players in the game. Also in the top 20 are the inside linebackers for San Fran, no wonder their defense is so stout! A couple of wide receivers who are having great years appear here as well, Brandon Marshall and Roddy White.
1 is J.J. Watt
9. Adrian Peterson: RB – Minnesota Vikings
8. Tom Brady: QB – New England Patriots
7. AJ Green: WR – Cincinnati Bengals
6. Cameron Wake: DE – Miami Dolphins
5. Charles Tillman: CB – Chicago Bears
4. Von Miller: OLB – Denver Broncos
3. Percy Harvin: WR – Minnesota Vikings
2. Matt Ryan: QB – Atlanta Falcons
1. J.J. Watt: DE - Houston Texans
J.J. Watt comes in at the top spot and maybe a couple of surprises right behind him. Percy Harvin has been electric for the Vikings and Cameron Wake anchors a stout Dolphins defense. No surprise to see Tom Brady in the top 10 or Charles Tillman, who has been a turnover machine for the Bears. Matt Ryan takes the top spot at QB and Adrian Peterson continues to amaze as the top running back after coming off major knee surgery in the off-season.
you can follow Ben on twitter @BenGrimaldi
Which Atlanta Falcons player ended up on the “NFL’s All-Bad-Contracts Team”?
Every year, Grantland's Bill Barnwell crafts his All-Bad-Contracts Team, and all any fan is hoping for is that they don't see one of their team's players pop up. Well, Falcons fans, here's the bad news: You didn't make it through unscathed. The good news, though, is that only one Falcon made it onto the list ... Read More
Bills C Eric Wood happy the NFL showed consistency in Tom Brady appeal
There are a lot of opinions being thrown around about Tom Brady after the league's decision to not overturn his four-game suspension yesterday, but Bills center Eric Wood's was one of the most honest. Read More
LOOK: This “A Few Good Men” spoof perfectly represents Tom Brady and DeflateGate
I'm tired of DeflateGate, so freaking tired. I want it to be done. I don't want to hear about it again. I want to forget it ever happened. Unfortunately, that's just not going to happen. Read More
This stat about Lavonte David shows just how amazing he truly is
Next to J.J. Watt, you could make a solid case that Lavonte David is the best defender in the NFL. You won't hear that from the press or ESPN or the fans or the end-of-the-year-award voters, but stats don't lie. And this stat says it all. Read More