On Friday, the Oakland Raiders announced that they suspended third-year linebacker Rolando McClain for two games due to conduct detrimental to the team.
Prior to Friday’s team practice, Raiders head coach Dennis Allen met with McClain and informed him of the suspension, then filled the rest of the team in regarding the decision. McClain did not practice with the team on Thursday due to what Allen described as a “team related issue” and the first-year head coach also said that there would be “consequences” for McClain’s actions.
Although it has not been disclosed as far as what McClain did to deserve the two game ban imposed by the team, it is certain that it must have been something major to not only warrant the suspension but to also have the team considering releasing him prior to the suspension, which is what one source told ESPN.com.
This season, McClain has recorded 60 tackles and one sack despite his major drop off in playing time from his initial two seasons in Oakland. During those two seasons, McClain was on the field for nearly 90 percent of the Raiders’ defensive snaps, but this season that number has dropped to somewhere around 50 percent. McClain had already been replaced in the Raiders Nickel defensive package by rookie Miles Burris due to his inability to consistently cover receivers, running backs and tight ends in passing situations.
McClain will miss the Raiders games against the Cleveland Browns this week and then the Denver Broncos next week as well as approximately $114,000 in salary. He will be eligible to return to the team in their week 15 match up with the Kansas City Chiefs.