The Dallas Cowboys struggled all along their offensive line last year and improvements are needed. So far, the Cowboys haven’t done anything to address their line issues in free agency because they don’t have the money to do so but expect the team to address it in the draft.
It still remains to be seen what the Cowboys will do with the rest of the group that allowed 36 sacks last season and according to a report from ESPNDallas.com, the Cowboys won’t be making the move fans want the most. Dallas will retain right tackle Doug Free.
Now before everyone starts throwing things, the report also used the words, ‘for now,’ and said things could change if the Cowboys draft a tackle in one of the early rounds of the draft in April. Calvin Watkins also said the Cowboys believe Free can improve, giving the team two solid tackles.
No matter what you think the Cowboys should do with Free, this is the right decision for now. They can still release him and designate him as a June 1 cap casualty but it still wouldn’t help the Cowboys salary cap status until then, so holding onto Free for the time being makes sense. Cutting him now would leave the Cowboys very thin at the tackle position and even if you believe in Jeremy Parnell, Dallas would only have two tackles on their roster. The Cowboys need all the options available going into the draft and don’t need to be forced into taking a tackle with a high pick, so holding onto Free for now is a smart move by the team.
I do think the Cowboys should ask Free to restructure his contract and lower his cap hit but it appears as though the Cowboys aren’t going to do that. It is interesting to see that they haven’t done restructured it already, which maybe a sign the Cowboys will cut bait with Free as soon as it makes sense to do so.
As usual, the Cowboys are sending mixed signals regarding one of their players, only this time; it appears as though the team has made a wise decision.
you can chat with or follow Ben on twitter @BenGrimaldi