New York Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks didn’t show up for the first day of OTAs (organized team activities) on Wednesday.
The 25-year-old is rehabbing injuries to his knee and foot, which plagued him throughout the 2012 season. During last year’s OTAs, Nicks broke a bone in his right foot that kept him out for three months and affected him during the Giants’ 9-7 campaign.
Nevertheless, Giants’ head coach Tom Coughlin said that he expected Nicks to be at the voluntary workout.
“He should be here,” said Coughlin, according to the New York Daily News.
Quarterback Eli Manning echoed his coach.
“You know I had no reason to think he wouldn’t be here,” Manning told The Record, according to NFL.com.
Nicks’ absence left the Giants without their top two wide receivers as Victor Cruz continues to work on a long-term contract extension.
The reason for Nicks’ absence remains unclear. The North Carolina product made an appearance at a charity event on Tuesday night where he said that he feels the best he has in awhile.
After two straight 1,000-plus yard seasons, Nicks had just 692 receiving yards on 53 receptions. His three touchdown catches were the fewest of his four-year career.
Nicks will look to bounce back in 2013 as he’s due to become a free agent in the offseason. Will he show up for the second day of OTAs on Thursday?