As of Monday, we know that long-term talks between franchise-tagged defensive end Anthony Spencer the Dallas Cowboys have ceased.
My colleague, Jeric Griffin, points out that the Cowboys wanted to get a deal done but failed to reach an agreement with Spencer before the 3:00 p.m. Central Time deadline on Monday. However, Griffin thinks this could be a blessing in disguise for the Cowboys.
Now that the Spencer situation is out of the way the Cowboys can turn their attention to re-signing middle linebacker Sean Lee. It is concerning, however, that the Cowboys haven’t done much in regards to re-signing their coveted defensive playmaker.
Last month, Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said that the team would look into extending Lee, who is in the final year of his rookie deal and is scheduled to make $630,000 this year.
“Historically, we look at guys going into the last years of their contracts,” Jones said, “Sean [Lee] is going into the last year of his contract, so that’s probably something we’ll look at.”
The Cowboys are right to exercise caution as Lee has only played 21-of-36 possible games in his career and has been labeled as injury prone, but there is no denying that when Lee is on the field he is a force to be reckoned with. This may be the reason the Cowboys haven’t gotten a deal done or as Mike Fisher of Fox Sports Southwest points out, the Cowboys may be trying to hold on to as much cap space as possible for next year’s crop of in-house free agents which includes Dez Bryant, Bruce Carter and Tyron Smith among others.
#Cowboys source: Sean Lee contract talks to ramp up Thurs. Rembr, cap room carries over. So save $ now helps Dez, Tyron, Carter next yr
— Mike Fisher (@fishsports) July 16, 2013
Whatever the case is, it appears that come Thursday the Cowboys will get the ball rolling in regards to Lee and a long-term contract. It had previously been speculated that the Cowboys were going to have a deal in place prior to the beginning of training camp; here’s hoping they do.