The San Diego Chargers lost their 2013 fifth-round pick Steve Williams for the season when he suffered a torn pectoral muscle last week against the Chicago Bears. This could put them in the market for a veteran cornerback heading into the 2013 NFL season.
According to U-T San Diego beat writer Michael Gehlken, “Richard Marshall is scheduled for a visit with the team, a league source said. San Diego could use a veteran cornerback.”
Marshall signed a three year deal worth $16 million last year, but he missed 12 games with a back injury and was released by the Miami Dolphins on Tuesday.
Marshall’s best season was with the Carolina Panthers in 2006 when he had 70 tackles, 15 pass defenses, three interceptions, two forced fumbles and a sack. Derek Cox and Shareece Wright will more than likely start at CB this season, but Marshall could see time at nickel corner.
Chargers All-Pro free safety Eric Weddle said that Johnny Patrick was making plays all over the field in practices. The signing of Marshall could create a competition for playing time at nickel corner. According to Gehlken, Marshall got reps at safety in practice before his release which could be a plus for San Diego’s defense.
Marshall made 46 of his 59 career starts with the Panthers between 2006 and 2010. While Marshall missed 12 of Miami’s 16 games last year, injuries should not be a concern because it was the first time in seven NFL seasons that he did not play in all 16 games.
San Diego ranked 12th in the NFL in fewest yards per pass attempt allowed last year and will look to build on that this season. Marshall would add a veteran presence which could be needed because Wright has never started a game in his short career. If Wright struggles, Marshall could be a candidate to step up in his place.