Houston Texans Depth Chart: Meet the 2013 Team
2013 Depth Chart
With another Houston Texans football season ready to go and the 53-man roster set, it's time to take a look at what the team depth chart will be in 2013.
When you carry three quarterbacks, things are going to get tight at a depth position and a guy who was worthy of making the squad gets to be the tough luck loser. Also, you'll have one player who makes the team, only to be cut after Week 1 with the return of Antonio Smith.
The long battle for the third running-back position finally went to Cierre Wood, who will back up Arian Foster and Ben Tate and might even see situational time on the field early. He's a great fit for this offensive scheme and his reads in the preseason were impressive. The team finally went with upside over the "safe pick" here.
The amazing recovery of DeVier Posey, who was all but certainly thought to be placed on the PUP, makes the longshots for the fifth wide-receiver position look for work elsewhere. Alan Bonner was placed on the IR and Lestar Jean finds a way to stick around for another season.
A lot is resting on hoping for the recovery of Ed Reed to lead a secondary that has some depth concerns. Shiloh Keo is thought to be the starter at safety if Reed can't go in the early weeks and that frightens a lot of Texans fans. Brandon Harris has to show something this year or he could be the next Roc Carmichael.
Justin Tuggle and Willie Jefferson are the feel good stories of camp and the preseason and they defied the odds to make the final roster. But this is big boy football now and they'll have to prove they belong if they want to stick around for the entire season.
There will be lots of shifting before the depth chart is made official, but here is where I believe it stands as we enter unto the 2013 campaign.
Quarterback, Halfback & Receivers
1) Matt Schaub 2) T.J. Yates 3) Case Keenum
1) Arian Foster 2) Ben Tate 3) Cierre Wood
1) Greg Jones
1) Andre Johnson 2) DeAndre Hopkins 3) Keshawn Martin 4) DeVier Posey 5) Lestar Jean
1) Owen Daniels 2) Garrett Graham 3) Ryan Griffin
1) Duane Brown 2) Ryan Harris
1) Derek Newton 2) Cody White 3) Andrew Gardner
1) Wade Smith 2) David Quessenberry
1) Brandon Brooks
1) Chris Myers 2) Ben Jones
1) Johnathan Joseph 2) Brandon Harris 3) A.J. Bouye
1) Kareem Jackson 2) Brice McCain
1) Danieal Manning 2) D.J. Swearinger
1) Ed Reed 2) Shiloh Keo 3) Eddie Pleasant
1) Brian Cushing 2) Joe Mays 3) Darryl Sharpton 4) Tim Dobbins
1) Whitney Mercilus 2) Willie Jefferson 3) Sam Montgomery
1) Brooks Reed 2) Justin Tuggle 3) Bryan Braman
Defensive Line & Special Teams
1) J.J. Watt 2) Antonio Smith* 3) Tim Jamison 4) Jared Crick
* One Game Suspension
1) Earl Mitchell 2) Terrell McClain
1) Randy Bullock
1) Shane Lechler
1) Jon Weeks
Giants Need To Sign Another Receiver Before Week 5
The Giants are thin at wide receiver and now have lost a tight end for the season. They need to sign another pass catcher before Sunday's game against the 49ers. Read More