A few weeks back, the Dallas Cowboys kicked the tires on quarterback Mike Kafka, whom the team had an interest in last season.
Since then, Kafka has gone on to sign with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and the Cowboys had been mum about their quarterback position. The only time that the Cowboys mentioned the quarterback position, they were updating the media and fans on starting quarterback Tony Romo’s recovery from back surgery.
In fact, the Cowboys seemed content with their quarterback situation, and appeared ready, and willing, to enter the 2014 season with just two quarterbacks on the roster. However, that may have all changed as of Friday when it was reported that backup quarterback Kyle Orton has yet to commit to returning to the Cowboys in 2014 and that he has even talked about retirement.
When asked about the situation, Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones confirmed that Orton has talked about walking away from football and that the Cowboys are unsure of his status moving forward.
“No, I don’t know [that he is coming back],” Jones said. “But, I haven’t gone and asked him.”
Jones also said that the team doesn’t anticipate talking to Orton’s agent while at the NFL Scouting Combine, but stated that the Cowboys will have an answer regarding Orton’s future with the team before the start of free agency on March 11.
If Orton decides that he no longer wants to play football, you can go ahead and add “quarterback” to the list of positions that the Cowboys will have to address this offseason.