2014 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Clemson QB Tajh Boyd
Tajh Boyd finished his senior season at Clemson with a fantastic performance against Ohio State in the Orange Bowl, as he threw for 378 yards, rushed for 127 yards on 20 carries and accounted for six touchdowns (five passing, one rushing) in the Tigers’ 40-35 victory. Boyd finished his career with school and ACC records in passing yards (11,904) and passing touchdowns (107), but he has fallen off the radar of NFL Draft analysts as other quarterbacks have elevated themselves during the pre-draft process.
Here’s a look at Boyd, starting with his measurables and moving toward his strengths and weaknesses.
Weight: 222 lbs.
- Is a solidly built athlete; is strong and durable
- Has excellent mobility; shows solid burst, agility and strength as a runner
- Shows good velocity on his passes; the ball jumps out of his hands
- Exhibits solid overall feel; avoids negative plays
- Lacks ideal height
- Has a bit of a wind-up delivery, which allows defenders to break on his throws in tight windows
- Overall accuracy and ball placement is very inconsistent
- Played in a shotgun-based offense with a lot of shorter throws
It would be a huge surprise to see Boyd be drafted before the second or third round in May’s draft, and the strong possibility he lasts until the third day makes it unlikely he’ll be asked to step in and start immediately for a quarterback-needy team. But that stands to work to his advantage, since he has some development to do and working with an NFL offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach would definitely benefit him. With the right combination of team and coaching staff to start his career, I think Boyd has a chance to become one of the top quarterbacks in this year’s class when we look back in a few years.
REPORT: Julio Jones says he and the Atlanta Falcons have opened contract talks
If you saw those Demaryius Thomas and Dez Bryant contracts and thought, "Well, the Atlanta Falcons are about to pay Julio Jones a lot of money," you were absolutely right. Read More
BREAKING: Sheldon Richardson charged with resisting arrest after high-speed race
According to Mark Schlinkmann of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Sheldon Richardson has got himself into even more trouble. This time, though, it's for more than just weed. Read More