NHL playoff recap: Anaheim Ducks vs. Nashville Predators – game 3
As you probably know, last night the Ducks lost game three to the Predators by a final score of 4-3. That score would make one suggest it was a close game, right? Well, that is flat out wrong in this case. The Ducks played a terrible game, and were lucky to even be in the game.
Here is a look at the official boxscore, via NHL.com.
NSH – PPG – Martin Erat (1) A: Cody Franson & Joel Ward
NSH – G – Jordin Tootoo (1) A: Jerred Smithson
ANA – PPG – Teemu Selanne (3) A: Corey Perry
ANA – PPG – Teemu Selanne (4) A: Corey Perry
NSH – G – David Legwand (1) A: Ryan Suter & Martin Erat
ANA – G – Matt Beleskey (1) A: Saku Koivu
NSH – G – Mike Fisher (3) A: Sergei Kostitsyn & Ryan Suter
Predators – 4 / Ducks – 3
- The Ducks played terrible almost the entire game. Playing a couple good shifts each period is not going to win you many hockey games; especially in the playoffs.
- When you only tally 16 shots in a game and Pekka Rinne is in the oppositions goal, you’re not going to win. Period.
- I have said countless times that the Ducks must not take many penalties, or they are going to lose. Taking six penalties including one in the final three minutes of the game (while trailing by one) is not going to help you win.
- I loved Ryan Getzlaf dropping the gloves. Whether he started it or Fisher started it is debatable, but it was quite evident that Getzlaf’s fight sparked the Ducks.
- Ray Emery played a very strong game yesterday, and if he didn’t come up with several key saves, the Ducks could have easily lost by three goals or more.
- Corey Perry’s move on Shea Weber behind the net was scary good. I could watch that all day long.
- The loss of Bobby Ryan hurts big time, and a lot more than I thought it would; However, he did deserve to be suspended.
- Shea Weber and Ryan Suter are the best defensive pairing in the league.
- Mike Fisher is a heck of a player. I always respected – and liked – him as a player, but I didn’t realize he was so good. He is having a heck of a playoffs, and if he continues to play like this, the Predators will win this series.
- The Predators fans are nuts, and a lot louder than I thought. As Pierre McGuire pointed out during the broadcast for TSN, Nashville is a hockey market.
- Lastly, I am 100% okay with Teemu Selanne calling out the Ducks, and I think it was definitely necessary. I expect the Ducks to respond with a win Wednesday evening.
My 3 stars
1. NSH – Mike Fisher (Game-winning-goal and a fight)
2. ANA – Teemu Selanne (2 goals)
3. ANA – Ray Emery (33-37, made several key saves to keep the Ducks in the game)
Follow @DucksAndCover on twitter for the latest news & notes surrounding the Anaheim Ducks.