Pittsburgh Penguins Pregame: at New York Islanders
Some quick pregame notes before I take this exam:
- The Pittsburgh Penguins (6-2-2-) will take on the New York Islanders (3-3-0) on Long Island tonight at 7:08 PM.
- Penguins center Evgeni Malkin is a game time decision. He practiced with his usual wingers of Steve Sullivan and James Neal in this morning’s pregame skate and also took reps with the team’s first power play unit, so signs point to a return tonight for the super Russian. Malkin has missed seven of the team’s last eight games with soreness in his knee stemming from a surgery in February.
- 6:57: UPDATE: EVGENI MALKIN WILL PLAY TONIGHT.
- Marc-Andre Fleury will get the start for the Penguins. Fleury is 5-2-0 this season with a stellar 2.13 GAA and .926 SV%. He’s been awesome.
- The Islanders will start Evgeni Nabokov. Nabokov is 1-1-0 in two games this season, allowing 2.53 goals per game and recording a .921 SV%.
- Pittsburgh defenseman Zbynek Michalek will miss tonight’s game and will sit for about another 3-6 weeks with a broken finger.
- I don’t expect anything to go down between these teams stemming from last year’s infamous brawl. I would love to see “tough guy” (read: coward) Trevor Gillies get his face beat in by Penguins enforcer Steve MacIntyre, but I think both teams want to move on from the incident.
- The NHL will announce sometime this week that the 2012 Draft will be held at the CONSOL Energy Center in Pittsburgh. That’s pretty awesome.
Tonight’s game will be televised on Root Sports. Time to fly through this exam and hopefully make it back sometime during the first period. Wish me luck.
Let’s Go Pens.
Quenneville Wisely Goes Back To Crawford In Game 2
Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville made the right choice going back to Corey Crawford in Game 2 after Scott Darling's magnificent Game 1 performance. Here's why. Read More