Blues continue to suck in shootouts and lose in Nashville
The Blues fell to the Preds in the shootout in a game that the Blues dominated most of the action. In the first period alone the ice was all tilted towards Pekka Rinne who was up for the challenge. The Blues outshot Nashville 14-2 in the first period alone and doubled them up 40-20 during the whole game. The Blues turn right back around and come home to face the Blue Jackets tomorrow night. Columbus lost to Tampa Bay tonight by a score of 3-2.
- The Blues only took 1 penalty tonight but that was at the 5:00 mark at the end of OT so that makes 2 consecutive games that they have not been shorthanded. That makes for roughly 135 minutes without being a man down for the Blues. Incredible
- The ice in Nashville must really suck ass. I only get to see 3 games a year in Nashville but I dont know how it usually looks but tonight there were guys falling all over the place all night long. On the lone Nashville goal, 2 Blues skaters fell in the offensive zone and left the Blues with Colaiacovo and a forwards defending the 3 on 2. The forward got caught looking at the puck and lost track of Erat and he buried a picture perfect pass from Shea Weber.
- TJ Oshie continues to be one of the best skaters on the ice for the Blues. Osh and Backes caught the Preds on a horrible change late in the third and Oshie backhanded home a beauty past Rinne to tie the game and send it to OT.
- Pekka Rinne has now stolen 3 points from the Blues this season alone. The Blues are 0-1-1 vs NSH this season and have outshot the Preds 73-36 in 2 games so far but are being outscored 5-3. Thanks to Rinne Nashville has taken both games and the Blues will look to turn that around the next time they face them in St Louis on the 30th.
Other Thoughts: Jason Arnott missed this one with the flu that has been going around the Blues the past few weeks. He is questionable for tomorrow.
Preview Review: Steeners played big first line minutes again and logged 4 shots on goal and i expect another big game from him tomorrow. Shea Weber made a beauitful pass to Martin Erat for the lone Preds goal. He played his usual workload of minutes at 26:57 and was awesome as usual.
It was a close one as predicted and was Nashville’s 10th consecutive one goal game. They are 7-3 in the last 10. Blues werent as sharp as they needed to be in the 3rd and the PP was not so good even though they did score. Tough to beat Rinne though. Just an unfortunate loss for the Blues who should bounce back tomorrow.
My 3 Stars:
1. Pekka Rinne- 39/40- No need to explain this one. Rinne is the only reason Nashville added 2 points tonight. He hung in there and was huge with his big glove.
2. TJ Oshie- PPG- Osh scored a huge PPG in the 3rd to extend the game and showed his 100% hustle as usual.
3. Craig Smith- SOG- Smith only gets this spot for the one shot he had in the game and for the way he walked right through the Blues defense and almost beat Halak with that shot.
Blues back at it tomorrow and will have the preview up shortly
Islanders Regain Early-Season Form In Critical Win
The New York Islanders played the way they did in October and the result was a win over the Detroit Red Wings. Maintaining this form is key heading toward the playoffs. Read More