I have never seen a team look so different before, both in a game to game basis as well as period to period. Last night in Nashville the Blues were sharp and just couldnt find a way to beat Rinne. Tonight they were god awful in their own zone and looked like they didnt give Columbus any respect and let them play a hell of a game and skated all over the Blues for the first 40 minutes. Then all of a sudden, Columbus ran out of steam and the Blues started running shit. They scored less than a minute into the 3rd and never looked back.
- Refs were less than great again tonight. Apparently the definition of boarding was changed because what Kevin Shattenkirk did at the end of the second period was not boarding. That gave Columbus a PP which they converted with a second to play in the second period. That was what I thought was going to kill the Blues but luckily they were able to bounce back big in the third.
- Other than Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo to some degree, the defense otherwise was sloppy and kinda sucked. Petro and Shat were a combined plus 6 while the the other Blues D-men were even. Pretty much all the Blue Jackets goals were helped by defensemen stuck standing still. The worst was the last Jackets goal when Brassard was standing in front and able to track the puck that was deflected up and able to smack it in after standing alone and untouched for about 5 seconds. Before that you could tell that it was going to be a rough night because Rick Nash was left all alone like 3 times in the first period alone. I dont know about you guys but I dont think thats the best idea.
- David Perron had a hell of a game I thought. Backes also had a good game as he was backchecking and physical as he and Fedor Tyutin were getting into it all night. Tyutin is a little prick and got away with an obvious cross check that was right in front of an official and didnt get his ass kicked. He will have a target on his back next game.
- Roman Polak might get a phone call from the league after a shot to the head of a Blue Jackets forward (I think it was RJ Umberger). Polak didn’t target the head but the fact of the matter is that was the “principle point of contact” and based on similar hits with the lack of any history with the league I think he could miss a game but hopefully Shanny will be lenient and maybe let him off with a fine. All in all a tough game for Polak who was not on his A game.
Other Thoughts: 3 rows in front of me sat a row of Columbus fans…. weird, I didnt know those actually existed.
Preview Review: I honestly have no clue what I wrote about for this game. I feel like I did have a win for the Blues so thats good. Definately dont know who I picked for the hot players but I think it could have been Oshie who had a goal and assist and maybe Prospal for Columbus (that sounds familiar) and he kinda sucked backchecking and left his D out to try apparently with his -4 rating as the glaring number in his line.
My 3 Stars:
1. Kevin Shattenkirk- G, 5 SOG, +4- Shatt was the best defensemen for the Blues tonight and the goal he scored tonight was a great one as he read the play perfectly, jumped up and recieved a perfect pass from Matt D’agostini and buried it past Steve Mason (who shouldnt be a starting goaltender; not in Columbus at least)
2. David Perron- 2 A- I thought Perron was around the puck alot tonight and he played a pretty solid game. Maybe his best since hes been back.
3. David Backes- 2 A, +2- This spot should probably go to Fedor Tyutin but I am a homer and Tyutin, as I said before, was a little bitch tonight. So his 3 assists are trumped by the 2 by Backes. Backes was great in his own end of the ice as well as he usually is. Even though he wont win or even get consideration for it I think Backes could very easily be a candidate for the Selke this year.
Work tomorrow, then off til Wednesday as are the Blues. They’ll be in Colorado on Wednesday then head to the desert on Friday and then will be on their X-mas break. Til Wednesday…. LGB