The first 5 minutes of this game looked a lot like the last game against the Avs. The Blues struggled to get the puck out of their own zone and watched Colorado skate circles around them as they took an early 2-0 lead. After that the Blues buckled down they got right back into the game tying it at one point but a Jay McClement goal was the finall dagger in the coffin of the Blues as they couldn’t get one to go in a lopsided 3rd period. Only the 3rd regulation loss in 20 contests. Thats still pretty ok in my book.
- I don’t know why but the Blues cannot win in the Pepsi Center. The Blues have lost 6 in a row in Denver and 7 of the last 8. Not so good in the Mile High.
- I thought Alex Pietrangelo played one of his better games of late. Petro looked solid in all 3 zones on the ice and had a few chances late in the game where he was flying through the neutral zone cutting in and out of defenders before creating a few scoring chances for the Blues. He finished with almost 25 minutes, 2 shots on goal, and a -1 rating.
- The Blues couldnt squeak this one out even though all they had to do was win the 3rd period. The owned the play and didnt allow a shot until 17:58 while Colorado had a power play after a stupid stupid stupid Patrik Berglund high stick.
- Matt Duchene is pretty fast. The end.
- Colorado led in shots 8-2 about 5 minutes into the game. The Blues finished up 39-22. That means the Blues had a 37-14 advantage over the last 55 minutes. Add in the 3 or 4 goal posts they hit all night long they almost tripled up the Avalanche in shots on goal after they realized they had to start playing.
Other Thoughts: I didnt like the look of this team. This isnt the Ken Hitchcock Blues, this was the team that let guys walk all over them early then turn it on late because they realized they were going to lose. You cant chase from behind like that. Hopefully Friday will be better against the Desert Dogs
Preview Review: Both Who’s hot guys made me look good. J-S Gigure got jiggy with it and shut down the Blues, his 3rd win in a row. Varly has to be getting nervous now. David Perron tallied an assist to extend his point streak to 6 games. He now has 8 in 8.
As far as predictions go. That was not as successful. The Avs won again on home ice but the second line did look good with Stewie scoring against his old squad and the 2nd line combining for 3 points (1-2) and 11 shots on goal.
My 3 Stars:
1. J-S Gigure- 37/39- Gigure is on fire of late. He has faced 98 shots in his last 3 starts and only allowed 5 goals. He has faced playoff teams in each of those games. Dont be surprised if the Avs are still playing in late April. I see them making a run, and if Gigure keeps playing like this he will be a big part of it.
2. Jay McClement- G, 3 SOG- Normally when the Blues take on Colorado I have a hard time ever even seeing Jay McClement. But tonight I noticed him more than I ever did in a Blues jersey. He was all over the place tonight. He also scored the game winner goal as well. Good for him. The only piece of the EJ-Stewart deal that I wish we hadn’t given up. Fuck EJ though.
3. Chris Stewart- G, 7 SOG- Like I had hoped Stewart showed off against his old team. I want him to kill the Avs like he always did to the Blues when we played before the trade sent him to St. Louis. He looked good tonight and scored his goal from the dirty area on the ice which is where he is going to score his goals. Hopefully this was the start of him dusting off some cobwebs and he will start to break out.
Will have the preview for tomorrow’s game up later, before work hopefully. Will try and work on another piece for late this week or early next week. Can’t wait til I get a new computer. Then i’ll be all over everything again lol