With the growing awareness and occurrence of concussions in the NHL, there is one common aspect with every hockey player who gets a concussion. The commonality is the words, “out indefinitely” or “no timetable for a return.” Toronto Maple Leafs prospect and captain of the Mississauga Majors Stuart Percy has fallen into that same category. Following a game back on December 11th against the Kitchener Rangers, Percy was hit by two players of the Kitchener Rangers at the same time, which resulted in Percy going head first into the boards.
“He’s not skated once,” Majors coach James Boyd said on Friday.
Percy did recently get back into some physical training and riding the bike, though even his workouts brought back the headaches. Now Percy is set back even more and I doubt we will see him playing until next year’s training camp.
“He was feeling better last week so he tried some physical activity and he developed a headache,” said Majors head coach and GM James Boyd. “So we go back to the start of the (concussion) protocol.
“He’s been inactive all week, so we have to wait for the symptoms to disappear. Who knows (when he’ll return)? But we’re being careful with it.”
This was not the first time Percy has suffered a concussion this season. Back in October, Percy was hit from behind in the corner during a game against the Plymouth Whalers.
Percy’s 2010/11 campaign saw him scored 4 goals and 18 assist so far this season, with a plus minus of plus 12.
Looking at this situation from the point of view of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Brian Burke. All they can do is be patient with their former 1st round, 25th overall pick from the 2011 Draft. There was a rumour that had Brian Burke asked the Majors to shut down Percy for the rest of the season. Though it was just a rumour and Majors’ Head Coach James Boyd said that this was untrue.
Rant Sports Toronto Maple Leafs Feature Writer
Look for my weekly blog “NHL Fantasy Hat-Trick” on Five Hole Dive
Email me at email@example.com
Follow me on Twitter @thejazlive