On This Date in Pittsburgh Penguins History / Penguins Trivia
- the Pittsburgh Penguins obtained forward Alexi Ponikarovsky from Toronto in exchange for Luca Caputi and Martin Skoula
- Mario Lemieux returned to the Penguins lineup in Philadelphia after being diagnosed with Hodgkin’s disease and missing the previous 23 games
- U.S. Olympian Mark Johnson made his Penguins’ debut against the New York Islanders
- Robbie Holland stopped 24 shots from the New York Islanders for a shut out; the Penguins failed to score too (the eighth scoreless tie in team history)
- the St. Louis Flyers defeated the Pittsburgh Hornets, 8-4, to end the Hornets’ AHL-record 19-game unbeaten streak
TODAY’S PENGUINS TRIVIA QUESTION:
Under which coach did the Pens sweep the Chicago Blackhawks and repeat as Stanley Cup Champions?
Find out tomorrow!
ANSWER (to yesterday’s TRIVIA QUESTION – CLICK HERE to view it):
Wednesday’s game against the Dallas Stars was the fifth game that the Pittsburgh Penguins have played on February 29th (of leap year); the four others:
- 2004 – Beat the Islanders, 3-2, in overtime
- 1996 – Lost to Calgary, 7-3
- 1992 – Defeated Buffalo, 5-2
- 1976 – Lost to St. Louis, 5-3