On This Date in Pittsburgh Penguins History / Penguins Trivia
- the NHL issued at least a 14-game suspension to Pittsburgh Penguins Matt Cooke for a head shot against the New York Rangers (it was the longest suspension ever issued to a Pittsburgh player)
- Ron Francis became the seventh player in NHL history to record 1000 career assists and the Pens become the 10th team to reach the 1000 win mark in a 4-3 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers
- the Penguins obtained Jim McKenzie from Dallas for Mike Needham
- Kevin Stevens scored :13 seconds into overtime against the New York Rangers (its the fastest overtime goal in team history)
- Penguins goalie Gary “Suitcase” Edwards stopped 28 shots from the Colorado Rockies to earn his first shutout with the Pens, 6-0; it was last game against the Rockies (Pittsburgh’s overall record against the Rockies: 15-7-1)
- Pittsburgh’s Rick Kessell, scored 2:19 into his first NHL game against the Chicago Blackhawks (the fastest goal by a Penguins player making his NHL debut)
- the Hornets close out the regular season with a 5-0 win over the Philadelphia Ramblers; Carl Liscombe scored the game-winning goal
TODAY’S PENGUINS TRIVIA QUESTION:
What goaltender did Mario Lemieux beat to score the first home-ice goal of his NHL career?
Find out tomorrow!
ANSWER (to yesterday’s TRIVIA QUESTION – CLICK HERE to view it):
Predicting 2015-16 Metropolitan Division Standings
The Metropolitan Division is home to many successful NHL franchises right now. Here's how the season standings will look at the conclusion of the 2015-16 campaign. Read More