On This Date in Pittsburgh Penguins History / Penguins Trivia
- the NHL issued at least a 14-game suspension to Pittsburgh Penguins Matt Cooke for a head shot against the New York Rangers (it was the longest suspension ever issued to a Pittsburgh player)
- Ron Francis became the seventh player in NHL history to record 1000 career assists and the Pens become the 10th team to reach the 1000 win mark in a 4-3 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers
- the Penguins obtained Jim McKenzie from Dallas for Mike Needham
- Kevin Stevens scored :13 seconds into overtime against the New York Rangers (its the fastest overtime goal in team history)
- Penguins goalie Gary “Suitcase” Edwards stopped 28 shots from the Colorado Rockies to earn his first shutout with the Pens, 6-0; it was last game against the Rockies (Pittsburgh’s overall record against the Rockies: 15-7-1)
- Pittsburgh’s Rick Kessell, scored 2:19 into his first NHL game against the Chicago Blackhawks (the fastest goal by a Penguins player making his NHL debut)
- the Hornets close out the regular season with a 5-0 win over the Philadelphia Ramblers; Carl Liscombe scored the game-winning goal
TODAY’S PENGUINS TRIVIA QUESTION:
What goaltender did Mario Lemieux beat to score the first home-ice goal of his NHL career?
Find out tomorrow!
ANSWER (to yesterday’s TRIVIA QUESTION – CLICK HERE to view it):
Montreal Canadiens Fans Take Losses Too Personally
The Montreal Canadiens have often been said to be the best fans in the NHL. But are they also the worst? Social media shows how adversity brings out the vitriol in fans when the Habs are down. Read More