On This Date in Pittsburgh Penguins History / Penguins Trivia
- Pittsburgh Penguins Marc-Andre Fleury established a team record for longest shutout sequence of 150 minutes and 14 seconds and Alex Kovalev scored the decisive goal in the shootout as the Penguins beat the Florida Panthers, 2-1, winning an NHL record, fourth consecutive shootout game
- the Penguins won their first division title and captured the Patrick Division crown with a 7-4 win against the Detroit Red Wings
- Lowell MacDonald scored three times on Minnesota North Stars’ Gump Worsley for his third hat trick with Pittsburgh
- the Pittsburgh Hornets defeated the Springfield Indians, 4-3, and gave the Hornets a 3-1 series win to advance them to the Calder Cup Finals against the Buffalo Bisons
- in overtime, the Hornets closed out the series against the Hershey Bears, 4-3; the Hornets advanced to face the Providence Reds in the Calder Cup Finals
- the Hornets won their first-ever playoff game, 4-1, against the Syracuse Stars at the Duquesne Gardens
TODAY’S PENGUINS TRIVIA QUESTION:
How many Pittsburgh Penguins goalies have earned the Vezina trophy (top goalie honors)?
Find out tomorrow!
ANSWER (to yesterday’s TRIVIA QUESTION – CLICK HERE to view it):
(including “First star” twice)
Rangers Fail to Learn From Game 2, Season on Brink
All the talk after Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Finals was about the Rangers needing to be unselfish and play smarter hockey. They didn’t in Game 3, and now they are in huge trouble. Read More
Mike Babcock Doesn't Equal Playoffs For Maple Leaf
The Toronto Maple Leafs made the biggest splash of the coaching carousel by signing Mike Babcock to a massive deal. They still have work to do before they are playoff contenders. Read More