On This Date in Pittsburgh Penguins History / Penguins Trivia
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DERYK ENGELLAND!!
(he turns 30 today)
- Pittsburgh Penguins Evgeni Malkin was stopped on a penalty shot by Carolina Hurricane’s Cam Ward; Malkin and Ward appear to have an “on-again, off-again” love affair when the Pens and Canes play each other as there are several other highlights like this one!
- Christian Hanson, from Upper St. Clair, made his debut with the Toronto Maple Leafs to become the 12th Western Pennsylvania player to play in the NHL
- the Penguins played their last game against the Hartford Whalers and skated to a 5-5 tie (Pittsburgh’s overall record against the Whalers is 30-27-7)
- the Buffalo Bisons shutout the Pittsburgh Hornets, 2-0, and grabbed a two-games-to-none lead in their opening round series
- the Hornets were eliminated from the playoffs by the Cleveland Barons with their third straight overtime loss (this time by a 3-2 score); the team would be inactive for the next five years while the Civic Arena was built
- a 4-3 win gave the Hornets a 2-1 series lead against the Buffalo Bisons in the Calder Cup Finals
- the Hornets won by a score of 2-1 in Hershey to take a 2-0 series lead against the Bears
- the Hornets evened the Calder Cup Finals with the Hershey Bears at one game apiece with a 3-2 win
TODAY’S PENGUINS TRIVIA QUESTION:
Which team did the Pittsburgh Penguins defeat in the 1992 Wales Conference Final?
Find out tomorrow!
ANSWER (to yesterday’s TRIVIA QUESTION – CLICK HERE to view it):
Predicting 2015-16 Metropolitan Division Standings
The Metropolitan Division is home to many successful NHL franchises right now. Here's how the season standings will look at the conclusion of the 2015-16 campaign. Read More