PHOTO: NBC is Building a Giant Stanley Cup in Times Square
If you are a hockey fan, there is nothing more sacred to you than the Stanley Cup. The three-foot tall silver chalice is the oldest and most coveted trophy in all of professional sports. Only those worthy enough, ever get a chance to hold it, never mind drink from it. But, thanks to NBC and the , all fans will get a chance to do just that….well, sort of.
NBC Sports plans on building a 21-foot-high, 6,600-pound Stanley Cup replica right smack dab in the middle of Manhattan’s Times Square. It will be on display for three days, beginning April 11 right up until the puck drops on the NHL playoffs.
You’re probably thinking to yourself, “There is really nothing cooler than a giant Stanley Cup in the middle of New York, is there?” Oh, but there is.
Not only will the enormous Holy Grail of hockey have water flowing out of it like a water fountain to the Hockey Gods, it will be potable. What does that mean? Well, hockey fans, it means it doubles as a water fountain. I told you it was cool.
NBC was kind enough to share a few tidbits about the large scale replica.
• When set on the platform, the height of the structure from the ground to the top of the Fountain is approximately 21 ½ feet
• The entire structure weighs approximately 6,600 lbs
• Designers and engineers used the Hockey Hall of Fame’s 3-D renderings and high resolution images of the Cup to create a large scale representation of the Stanley Cup.
• The Stanley Cup Fountain will feature 12 industrial fountain pop jets in the upper bowl, shooting water six feet above the Cup.
• Visitors can drink NYC Water from specific spouts at the base of the Fountain with reusable souvenir cups from NBC Sports/NHL and NYC Water.
• In total, the system will pump 120 gallons of water/minute through the structure
If you are a hockey fan living in the tri-state area and you don’t go check this thing out you should be ashamed of yourself and may your team (except the New Jersey Devils) be cursed to never win the real Cup again.
Even if you’re not a hockey fan at least you’ll have something else to gaze upon beside the “Naked Cowboy.”
Follow me on Twitter! @StevePalumboNHL
Email me at StevePalumboNHL@gmail.com