- the Pittsburgh Penguins lost to the Ottawa Senators, 3-0, in the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals and lost the series in five games
Although Ottawa was the #4 seed and Pittsburgh was the #5 seed in the Eastern Conference, the similarities ended there. This was Ottawa’s tenth consecutive trip to the playoffs while it was the first time in five seasons for Pittsburgh. It was also the first time that stars Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Marc-Andre Fleury were experiencing post-season play since the start of their NHL careers and it was a flaw that the Senators would take full advantage of.
The Penguins could only manage one win over the post-season dominating Senators and could not pull off a win in Game 5 in Ottawa to continue the series. The Ottawa Senators advanced to the Stanley Cup Final losing to the Anaheim Ducks in the series 4-1.
- Jaromir Jagr collected his second NHL scoring title with 102 points (35+67)
- Mario Lemieux, the first Penguins player to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated, appeared on his third of four covers
- the Penguins lost to the Washington Capitals, 3-1, in the opening game of the Patrick Division Semifinals (the Capitals eventually won the series in seven games)
- the Penguins lost to the St. Louis Blues, 3-1, in the opening game of Semifinals (the Blues eventually won the series in six games); the game also set two playoff records for Pittsburgh: for most penalty minutes (83) and Tracy Pratt’s 32 minutes was the most for one player
TODAY’S PENGUINS TRIVIA QUESTION:
When was the last time the Pittsburgh Penguins were ‘swept’ (lost all four games consecutively) in the playoffs and by which team?
Find out tomorrow!
ANSWER (to yesterday’s TRIVIA QUESTION – CLICK HERE to view it):
Sidney Crosby (25-games) and Mario Lemieux (46-games)