On This Date in Pittsburgh Penguins History / Penguins Trivia
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO PENGUIN CRAIG ADAMS!!
(he turns 35 today)
- Johan Hedberg stopped 25 shots as the Pittsburgh Penguins defeated the Buffalo Sabres, 3-0, in the opening game of the Eastern Conference Semifinals (Pittsburgh eventually defeated Buffalo in Game 7)
From Wikipedia: Entering the series, Buffalo held the best penalty killing (PK) squad which killed 88%, and Pittsburgh entered the series with the fifth best powerplay (PP) squad, which scored on 20% of its opportunities. However, the Buffalo PK and the Pittsburgh PP would underachieve during the series: Pittsburgh only scored 4 times on 27 opportunities (14%), so, consequently, Buffalo’s PK percent dropped to 86. Buffalo also scored four power play goals, but on 33 chances (12%).
- Mario Lemieux played in what was thought to be his last NHL game. The Penguins lost to the Philadelphia Flyers, 6-3, and were eliminated the from the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals; Lemieux would come out of retirement three years later
- Dave Burrows, Edward J. DeBartolo and Elaine Heufelder were named to the Penguins Hall of Fame
- the Pens defeated the New Jersey Devils, 5-3, to win the Patrick Division Semifinals in five games
- the Penguins were shut out by the New York Islanders, 1-0, and lost game seven in the Quarterfinals; Ed Westfall scored the only goal
STICK-TAP TO PittsburghHockey.net
Do you have a trivia question that could be featured on this page or am I missing a major fact for one of the “On This Date” posts?? BE SURE to leave a comment below OR email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!!
TODAY’S PENGUINS TRIVIA QUESTION:
Against which team did Sidney Crosby have his first career playoff hat trick??
Find out tomorrow!
ANSWER (to yesterday’s TRIVIA QUESTION – CLICK HERE to view it):