HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO PITTSBURGH PENGUIN
(he turns 22 today)
- the Pittsburgh Penguins acquired goaltender Tomas Vokoun from the Washington Capitals in exchange for a seventh round draft pick in the 2012 Entry Draft
- Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin each scored a goal and an assist and Jordan Staal scored a short-handed goal to lift the Pens over the Detroit Red Wings, 4-2, and to tie the series at two games
- the Penguins were defeated by the Detroit Red Wings, 3-2, and eliminated in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup final; the game marked the latest game ever played by the Penguins (previously, the last game of the season was played on June 1, 1992 when the Pens beat the Chicago Blackhawks to win the Cup); the Stanley Cup was presented to Detroit on the ice at Mellon Arena
- Pierre Creamer was named the head coach of the Penguins
- Penguins replaced head coach Lou Angotti with Bob Berry; Angotti won only 16 games in his only season behind the bench (his .238 winning percentage is the lowest by any Penguins coach in history)
- Two Penguins captured two NHL awards as Randy Carlyle won the Norris Trophy and Rick Kehoe won the Lady Byng Trophy
TODAY’S PENGUINS TRIVIA QUESTION:
Who was the only Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman to win the James Norris trophy (for best defenseman)?
Find out tomorrow!
ANSWER (to yesterday’s TRIVIA QUESTION – CLICK HERE to view it):
Do you have a trivia question that could be featured on this page or am I missing a major Penguins historical fact for one of the “On This Date” posts?? BE SURE to leave a comment below OR email me at email@example.com!!
Stephanie Lewark is a featured Pittsburgh Penguins columnist for RantSports.com. If you enjoy her articles / posts, you can follow her on Twitter (@steelcitysports), check out her personal Facebook page (via Networked Blogs), visit her personal Tumblr page, or stop by her Pinterest page.