Pittsburgh Penguins Release 2012-13 Regular Season Schedule
The regular season begins for the entire league on Thursday, October 11th while the season doesn’t officially start for Penguins until the following day on Friday, October 12th for the team’s home-opener against the New York Islanders at the CONSOL Energy Center (with a 7:00 pm puck drop).
Other interesting items about Pittsburgh’s schedule for this upcoming season:
- the Penguins will only have a few games under their belts (three, to be exact) before playing against cross-state rivals, Philadelphia Flyers; the contest will be held in enemy territory at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia on Thursday, October 18th
- the Penguins will face another rival for a New Year’s eve game against the Washington Capitals at the CONSOL on Monday, December 31st,
- the Penguins will travel in November for a game against another rival, the Detroit Red Wings, on Monday, November 19th while the teams will face-off once again the following month in December when the Penguins host the Wings (Thursday, December 27th); this will be the fourth time that the two teams have played each other twice in one season
- the Penguins will face the defending Stanley Cup Champions, the Los Angeles Kings, on Sunday, February 10th
- the Penguins will have 14 sets of back-to-back games this season which starts with their home-opener against the Islanders after which they travel to New York to face the Buffalo Sabres the following night
Stephanie Lewark is a featured Pittsburgh Penguins columnist for RantSports.com. If you enjoy her articles / posts, you can follow her on Twitter (@steelcitysports), check out her personal Facebook page (via Networked Blogs), visit her personal Tumblr page, or stop by her Pinterest page.