The time has come where all hockey fans can start marking their calendars and count the days until their team starts the season. For Capital’s fans, the day the puck drops is October 12 when the Washington Capitals open the season at home versus the Eastern-Conference champions; the New Jersey Devils.
Here are some key match-ups, for the Washington Capitals, to look forward to during the 2012-2013.
- Home opener: Oct 12- The Caps face the Devils in what could’ve easily have been last season’s East Coast Conference match-up. Caps fans will watch this game wishing that were the case. A Capital’s win may result in fans wondering “what if the Caps beat the Rangers in Game 7.”
- Arch-rivals meet: Oct 31- Sidney Crosby and Co., a.k.a. the Pittsburgh Penguins, visit the Verizon Center on Halloween. Games between these two clubs are always entertaining to watch as the competitiveness seems to always be at an ultimate high.
- Quarterfinals re-match: Nov 2- The first match-up between the Boston Bruins since the 2012 Eastern Conference quarterfinals where the Caps ousted the defending Cup Champions. During last season’s quarterfinals, every game was decided by one goal. I expect this game to continue in that trend.
- Semifinals re-match: Nov 16th- The Capitals square off against the New York Rangers. I’m positive that the Caps haven’t forgotten about their Game 7 loss in the semifinals against this team and I’m certain they believe they have some unfinished business to take care of. Expect a chippy, physical game.
- Super Bowl Sunday: Feb 3- This afternoon matinee, on Super Bowl Sunday, will be against the Stanley Cup Champions; the Los Angeles Kings (I still can’t believe I just said Kings and Cup champs in the same sentence). I’m a little bummed that they would pair up the Caps and the Kings on the same day as the most highly-televised game in America. I mean, who doesn’t watch the Super Bowl even if you aren’t a football fan? Nonetheless, the Caps are used to playing on Super Bowl Sunday as it is their fourth time in doing so.