The Columbus Blue Jackets used their five remaining picks in the 2012 NHL Draft to select wide array of young talent that will surely bolster the franchise in the years to come.
Aside from selecting defenseman Ryan Murray in the first round, the Blue Jackets used their picks in the second, third, fourth, sixth and seventh rounds to grab two goaltenders, two forwards and another defenseman.
On Saturday, General Manager Scott Howson expressed that he was “very pleased” with their choices, especially in the second and third rounds. “With our first two picks today and the addition of Sergei Bobrovsky, we have re-stocked the goaltending position, which was a priority for us,” Howson said.
The other five draftees are:
- 31st pick: Oscar Dansk (Goaltender, Brynas Jr.) – Dansk, a native of Stockholm, dazzled the Swedish Junior League in the 2011-12 season with a 2.82 GAA, .910 save percentage and two shutouts in 28 games. During the 2010-11 season, he had a 2.70 GAA, a .911 SV% and one shutout in 21 games.
- 62nd pick: Joonas Korpisalo (Goaltender, Jokerit Jr.) – The Pori, Finland native had a 2.04 GAA, .920 save percentage and four shutouts in his 38 games with the Finnish Junior league, and his 3.02 GAA, .902 SV% and one shutout helped lead the Finns to the bronze medal game in the 2012 World Under-18 Junior Championships.
- 95th pick: Josh Anderson (Right wing, London Knights) – Anderson, from Burlington, Ontario, registered 12-10-22 with a +17 in 64 games with the Knights, helping them win the 2012 OHL Championship.
- 152nd pick: Daniel Zaar (Right wing, Rogle Jr.) – Hailing from Helsingborg, Sweden, Zaar registered 14-24-38 and 28 penalty minutes in 44 games in the Swedish Junior League. With Rogle’s under-18 team, he added 6-6-12 in seven games.
- 182nd pick: Gianluca Curcuruto (Defenseman, London Knights) – Curcuruto, from Toronto, recorded 3-13-16 and 36 PIM in 63 games with the Knights in the 2011-12 season, also attending the CHL Top Prospects Camp as well as selection camp for Canada’s team in the 2012 World Under-18 Junior Championships. As a member of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds in the 2010-11 season, he registered 1-25-26 and 26 PIM in 56 games and led the team defenseman in assists while placing second in points.
All six draftees are expected to attend the team’s development camp, which will be held at Nationwide Arena on July 2-8.