- the Pittsburgh Penguins signed free agent defenseman Nate Guenin to a one-year contract; Guenin, a native of Sewickley, became the third native to play for the Penguins (following the footsteps of Ryan Malone and Bill Thomas)
- Tom Fitzgerald was named assistant to General Manager, Ray Shero
Prior to performing front-office duties with the Penguins, Fitzgerald played a total of 17 seasons in the NHL and AHL. He played for a total of seven teams including the New York Islanders, Florida Panthers, Colorado Avalanche, Nashville Predators, Chicago Blackhawks, Toronto Maple Leafs, and the Boston Bruins.
He also won the Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh as the assistant coach in 2009.
- the Penguins signed Ruslan Fedotenko to a one-year, $2.5 million contract; forward Miroslav Satan to a one-year, $3.5 million; and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury to a seven-year contract worth $35 million
- Penguins signed free agent defenseman Mark Eaton
- Andre Savard is named assistant coach of the Penguins
TODAY’S PENGUINS TRIVIA QUESTION:
Find out tomorrow!
ANSWER (to yesterday’s TRIVIA QUESTION – CLICK HERE to view it):
Do you have a trivia question that could be featured on this page or am I missing a major Penguins historical fact for one of the “On This Date” posts?? BE SURE to leave a comment below OR email me at email@example.com!!
Stephanie Lewark is a featured Pittsburgh Penguins columnist for RantSports.com. If you enjoy her articles / posts, you can follow her on Twitter (@steelcitysports), check out her personal Facebook page (via Networked Blogs), visit her personal Tumblr page, or stop by her Pinterest page.