Today in Boston Bruins History: July 19

By Emma Harger

Boston Bruins history for July 19:

1975: Steve Shields (full name Steven Charles Shields) is born in Toronto, Ontario. He made history in college when he became the first goalie in the NCAA to record 100 wins during his four years at the University of Michigan. Drafted by the Buffalo Sabres in 1990, he went pro in 1994 after finishing school. During his time with the Sabres’ AHL club in Rochester, he won the Calder Cup in 1996 and set another victory record with 15 wins in the playoffs. The next year, he helped the Sabres out in a pinch during their playoff run when Dominik Hasek was hurt. He ended up playing for the rest of the Sabres’ 1997 run. He also minded the net for the San Jose Sharks and Anaheim Ducks before a trade brought him to Boston in 2002. While with Boston, he decided to pay tribute to another Bruins goaltending great by patterning his mask after the famous stitch mask Gerry Cheevers wore. Even after trades moved him to the Florida Panthers and Atlanta Thrashers, he continued to wear the stitch mask. His last pro game was one game with the AHL Houston Aeros in 2006-07. These days, he helps out as a goalie coach for the Michigan Tech team.

1980: David Tanabe (full name David Michael Tanabe) is born in White Bear Lake, Minnesota. He made history young when he was part of the first ever group of high school players to train at the Cube in Ann Arbor, Michigan, which is the site of the national team development program. This experience served him well and made him historical again when he was drafted 16th overall by the Carolina Hurricanes in 1999–the first graduate of the national program to go in the first round. He also scored his first goal during his first NHL game. (Quite a lot of firsts with Tanabe.) He stayed with the team that drafted him for four seasons, was traded to the Phoenix Coyotes in 2003 and became part of the Bruins in 2005. He spent most of 2005-06 in Boston, scoring four goals and adding 12 assists in 54 games. However, in August 2006, when an arbitrator awarded Tanabe a $1.275 million contract, the Bruins rejected that deal and Tanabe instantly became an unrestricted free agent. He went back to familiar faces in Carolina, fresh off their Stanley Cup win, and would end up finishing his playing career there. A December 2007 concussion didn’t spell the end immediately, but in October 2008 his doctor told him that he shouldn’t play anymore because of the concussion’s effects. The Hurricanes settled with him on the last year of his contract and let him retire.


Click here to read more Today in Boston Bruins History articles.

You May Also Like