Today in Boston Bruins History: August 18

Boston Bruins history for August 18:

1935: Forbes Kennedy (full name Forbes Taylor Kennedy) is born in Dorchester, New Brunswick. After playing in Chicago and Detroit, Kennedy came to Boston for the 1962-63 season and played four seasons as a Bruin. Kennedy may be best known for what he did after Pat Quinn once hit Bobby Orr so hard that he fell unconscious. As a result, Kennedy got into four different fights, but then he punched a linesman and was tossed from the game. He wasn’t even with Boston at the time, though–he was with Toronto, although the aftermath of that brawl-filled game was a long suspension and the end of his time as a Maple Leaf. However, with the Bruins, he had the most productive season of his career: 30 points in 49 games for 1962-63. He retired in 1970, although he did do some coaching, including for a team in the Maritimes junior league.

1941: Bob Woytowich (full name Robert Ivan Woytowich) was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He kicked off his NHL career with the Bruins in 1964 and spent three seasons in Boston, although his production decreased noticeably in his third year. Following Boston, he also played in Minnesota, Pittsburgh and Los Angeles before decamping for the WHA and playing in both his hometown and Indianapolis. He had an untimely death in 1988–while driving in Winnipeg, he had a heart attack, the car was in an accident and he died.

2011: Shane Hnidy enjoys a day with the Stanley Cup. He met Lord Stanley at the airport in Winnipeg and then headed to the house he has with his wife Michaela for some pictures taken professionally with the Cup. Then it was off to nearby Neepawa, where Hnidy’s parents live, to show off the Cup some more to family and friends. Going back to his roots some more, Hnidy went with the Cup to the arena where he played hockey as a kid. The place was packed with fans wanting to see the silver chalice, including one fan who drove for eight hours to see it. The arena also played host to an official ticketed party with the Cup, featuring more than 500 attendees, food, drinks and fun. During that party, Hnidy managed to cut away from the festivities and go back to the old locker room with his brother and some other pals for a quieter moment of reflection, and champagne-sipping, with Stanley. After the party was over, the Cup went back to Hnidy’s parents’ house for some winding down from the big fete. (Two weeks later, Hnidy announced his retirement.)

Click here to read more Today in Boston Bruins History articles.

Around the Web