Mario Lemieux Will Help Usher Hockey Back to Johnstown for their NAHL Tomahawks
It was recently announced by the new North American Hockey League (NAHL) team, Johnstown Tomahawks, that the former Pittsburgh Penguins captain and current team co-owner Mario Lemieux will drop the ceremonial puck at the team’s home opener on Saturday, September 29th.
The Tomahawks will begin their inaugural season with a weekend road trip to Port Huron to play the Fighting Falcons on Saturday, September 8th and Sunday, September 9th. They return home to the Cambria County War Memorial for their first ever home game against division rivals, the Michigan Warriors.
Johnstown’s inaugural NAHL team also announced a promotional schedule for the 2012-13 season (for more information on each of these giveaways, visit the official Johnstown Tomahawks webpage):
- September 29 – Opening Day HockeyFest and Magnetic Schedule Giveaway
- October 6 – Guns and Hoses Night (honoring local police, fire, and rescue)
- October 19 – Pink at the Rink
- October 20 – Pink at the Rink Jersey Auction
- November 3 – Tomahawks Hat Giveaway
- November 9 – Veterans and Military Appreciation Night
- December 14 – Hanson Brothers Night
- December 15 – Teddy Bear Toss
- December 31 – New Year’s Eve Cowbell Giveaway
- January 12 – Kids Day and Team Picture Giveaway
- January 19 – Hockey Heritage Night and Souvenir Puck Giveaway
- February 2 – Youth Hockey Night
- February 16 – Pucks and Paws Night
- March 8 and 9 – Fan Appreciation Weekend
Although it seems pretty far-fetched, rumor has it that Lemieux will also be signing autographs for a fee.
Stephanie Lewark is a featured Pittsburgh Penguins columnist for RantSports.com. If you enjoy her articles / posts, you can follow her on Twitter (@steelcitysports), check out her personal Facebook page (via Networked Blogs), visit her personal Tumblr page, or stop by her Pinterest page.