- forward Chris Thorburn was placed on waivers by the Buffalo Sabres and claimed by the Pittsburgh Penguins
- the first game that Mario Lemieux began a record of a 46-game point streak (39 goal and 64 assists for a total of 103 points) which is the second-longest in NHL history (the streak was broken a little over four months later on February 14, 1990 during a game against the New York Rangers when he left with a back injury)
- the Penguins were shut out by the WHA‘s Quebec Nordiques by a score of 3-0
- the Pittsburgh Hornets and Detroit Red Wings (NHL) tied by a score of 3-3
- the Hornets were defeated by the Red Wings (NHL) by a score of 3-1
- the Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL) shut out the Hornets by a score of 3-0
TODAY’S PENGUINS TRIVIA QUESTION:
Which Pittsburgh Penguin player scored on a penalty shot in a 3-2 victory against the New York Rangers in Game 5 of the Patrick Division Final in 1992 at Madison Square Garden?
Find out tomorrow!
ANSWER (to yesterday’s TRIVIA QUESTION – CLICK HERE to view it):
Do you have a trivia question that could be featured on this page or am I missing a major Penguins historical fact for one of the “On This Date” posts?? BE SURE to leave a comment below OR email me at email@example.com!!
Stephanie Lewark is a featured Pittsburgh Penguins columnist for RantSports.com. If you enjoy her articles / posts, you can follow her on Twitter (@steelcitysports), check out her personal Facebook page (via Networked Blogs), visit her personal Tumblr page, or stop by her Pinterest page.