- the NHL cancelled all games for the first two weeks of the 2012-13 season (through October 24, 2012); the Pittsburgh Penguins were scheduled to begin the season at home on October 12th against the New York Islanders at CONSOL Energy Center
- the Penguins defeated the Ottawa Senators, 4-3, in the first game of the Bridgestone NHL Premiere in Stockholm, Sweden (Tyler Kennedy scored the game-winning, overtime goal)
- Pittsburgh claimed Nolan Baumgartner from the Vancouver Canucks in a waiver draft
- Penguins obtained Randy Cunneyworth and Mike Moller from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for Pat Hughes
- WHA‘s Cleveland Crusaders beat the Pens in an exhibition game by a score of 5-2
- the Detroit Olympics were sold, moved to Pittsburgh, and re-named the Pittsburgh Hornets
And on these dates in Pittsburgh Penguins History …
- 2001 – Penguins players Milan Kraft and Dan LaCouture both recorded their first NHL goals during a game against the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
- 1976 – Pittsburgh defeated the Canucks by a score of 9-5 on opening night at the Civic Arena
STICK-TAP TO PittsburghHockey.net
TODAY’S PENGUINS TRIVIA QUESTION:
Which former Pittsburgh Penguin player was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in November 2009 having recorded 668 goals and 1,394 points in 1,431 regular season games with the Los Angeles Kings, Pittsburgh Penguins, New York Rangers, and Detroit Red Wings from 1986-87 through 2005-06?
Find out tomorrow!
ANSWER (to yesterday’s TRIVIA QUESTION – CLICK HERE to view it):
Do you have a trivia question that could be featured on this page or am I missing a major Penguins historical fact for one of the “On This Date” posts?? BE SURE to leave a comment below OR email me at email@example.com!!
Stephanie Lewark is a featured Pittsburgh Penguins columnist for RantSports.com. If you enjoy her articles / posts, you can follow her on Twitter (@steelcitysports), check out her personal Facebook page (via Networked Blogs), visit her personal Tumblr page, or stop by her Pinterest page.