Edmonton Oilers Top 20 Prospects 2012: 1 – 5
Edmonton Oilers prospects number 1 – 5 are a gifted bunch and should become mainstays on the Oilers’ big club in the near future, whether it be in starring roles or as above average role players
1. Nail Yakupov RW – The latest 1st overall pick and a dynamic offensive winger. Will fit in with the push the pace style the Oilers are trying to preach. Yakupov started his pro career in Russia with his hometown club while he waits for the NHL lockout to be lifted. Ceiling – First line scoring winger.
2. Justin Schultz D – An agile D-man that enhances team offense through gifted skating and excellent vision. High hockey IQ. Capable defender as well. Schultz should become the calming influence on the backend while the Oilers forwards try to produce chaos. Schultz starts his pro career with the Oklahoma City Barons this season. Ceiling – First pairing offensive Dman.
3. Oscar Klefbom D – Klefbom is a solid two-way defender with leadership abilities. All will come together with experience, a willingness to learn and a good attitude. Klefbom is starting to gain gain traction in the SEL, which is a good sogn for him and the Oilers. Look for Klefbom to join the Oilers at the beginning of the 2013-2014 season. Klefbom and Schultz could prove to be a solid 1st pairing of the future. Ceiling – First pairing two-way Dman.
4. Taylor Fedun D – Fedun was on course to make the big club last season until a frightful leg injury ended his season in the preseason. Should challenge for a spot on the club again this season. Smart puckhandler on the backend, that should help with the Oilers mobility issues on the backend in short order. Ceiling – Middle pairing puckmoving Dman.
5. Tyler Pitlick C/RW – Position will determine his value. He is far more valuable if he can turn out to be a center than a winger. The Oilers have a need for a RH shooting center and he fits the bill. Also has value as a punishing on the forecheck type winger. Looks like he will start getting more looks on the wing which will serve Oklahoma City well. Entering his 2nd pro season, now is the time for him start putting up some numbers. Ceiling – 2nd line center/winger