2012 NHL LOCKOUT DAY 26:
6 pre-season games and 6 regular-season games (12 total games)
of the 2012-13 PITTSBURGH PENGUINS season LOST
A TOTAL OF 179 games
(97 pre-season games and 82 regular-season games)
of the 2012-13 NHL season LOST
- the Pittsburgh Penguins raised two banners to celebrate the Atlantic Division title and the Eastern Conference Championship (the older championship banners were also updated)
- Pittsburgh defeated the Washinton Capitals, 8-7, Washington’s Mike Ridley became the second player to score four goals against the Pens at the Civic Arena
- Pittsburgh rookie Mario Lemieux scored his first NHL goal in his first game
- the Penguins obtained Randy Hillier from the Boston Bruins for a fourth round choice in the 1985 Entry Draft
- Philadelphia Flyers‘ Bobby Clarke, Ilkka Sinisalo (penalty shot), Reggie Leach, and Ken Linseman scored in a span of 1:22, the fastest four goals against the Pens, at Philadelphia, in an 8-2 Flyers win
- the Penguins’ Al McDonough scored a hat trick against St. Louis Blues‘ goaltender Wayne Stephenson
- Andy Bathgate scored the Penguins’ first goal as the Penguins first NHL game was played at the Civic Arena against the Montreal Canadiens (a 2-1 loss with 9,307 fans in attendance)
And on these dates in Pittsburgh Penguins history …
- the Pittsburgh Penguins‘ Mark Johnson was stopped on a penalty shot by New Jersey Devils‘ Pat Riggin
- Pittsburgh opened the 20th Anniversary Season with a 5-4 win over the Washington Capitals; Washington jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the season opener, but Randy Cunneyworth‘s hat trick gave the Penguins a 5-4 victory
TODAY’S PENGUINS TRIVIA QUESTION:
Which Pittsburgh Penguins head coach became the NHL’s all-time leader in playoff games coached with his 191st?
Find out tomorrow!
ANSWER (to yesterday’s TRIVIA QUESTION – CLICK HERE to view it):
Mario Lemieux and Evgeni Malkin
Do you have a trivia question that could be featured on this page or am I missing a major Penguins historical fact for one of the “On This Date” posts?? BE SURE to leave a comment below OR email me at email@example.com!!
Stephanie Lewark is a featured Pittsburgh Penguins columnist for RantSports.com. If you enjoy her articles / posts, you can follow her on Twitter (@steelcitysports), check out her personal Facebook page (via Networked Blogs), visit her personal Tumblr page, or stop by her Pinterest page.