On This Date in Pittsburgh Penguins History (October 23) / Penguins Trivia
2012 NHL LOCKOUT DAY 38
6 pre-season games and 9 regular-season games (for a total of 15 games)
of the 2012-13 PITTSBURGH PENGUINS season LOST
- Erik Johnson (Colorado Avalanche) scored 50 seconds into overtime to break a scoreless tie and defeated the Pittsburgh Penguins by a score of 1-0 (this was the first time in 15 games the Pens lost a game that was 0-0 after regulation)
- New York Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist stopped the Penguins’ Jordan Staal on a penalty shot and Pens goalie Marc-Andre Fleury made 36 saves for his eight career shutout
- Pittsburgh trailed 4-1 in the second period, but came back for a 5-4 victory against the Toronto Maple Leafs (Jim McGeough recorded the game-winner for the Penguins at 18:28)
- Penguins obtained Andy Brickley, Ron Flockhart, Mark Taylor and a first round choice in the 1984 Entry Draft from the Philadelphia Flyers for Rich Sutter and second and third round choices in the 1984 Entry Draft
- Montreal Canadiens set a record for most shots (55) in a game at the Civic Arena (Montreal won the game by a score of 9-1)
- Boston Bruins Bobby Orr recorded his first and only hat trick against the Penguins
TODAY’S PENGUINS TRIVIA QUESTION:
Which four players scored 50 or more points each for the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 2009-10 season?
Find out tomorrow!
ANSWER (to yesterday’s TRIVIA QUESTION – CLICK HERE to view it):
Do you have a trivia question that could be featured on this page or am I missing a major Penguins historical fact for one of the “On This Date” posts?? BE SURE to leave a comment below OR email me at email@example.com!!
Stephanie Lewark is a featured Pittsburgh Penguins columnist for RantSports.com. If you enjoy her articles / posts, you can follow her on Twitter (@steelcitysports), check out her personal Facebook page (via Networked Blogs), visit her personal Tumblr page, or stop by her Pinterest page.