On This Date in Pittsburgh Penguins History (October 28) / Penguins Trivia
2012 NHL LOCKOUT DAY 43
6 pre-season games and 23 regular-season games (29 total games)
of the 2012-13 PITTSBURGH PENGUINS season LOST
- Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crobsy recorded his third career hat trick after he scored three times against Montreal Canadiens Jaroslav Halak
- the Penguins lost to the San Jose Sharks at the HP Pavilion by a score of 2-1 (the Sharks held Pittsburgh to just 11 shots, tying a franchise low and having just three in each of the first and third periods)
- Sidney Crosby notched his first NHL hat trick scoring three goals against the Philadelphia Flyers Antero Niittymaki
- the Penguins re-introduced one of their original logos of a skating Penguin and lost by the largest margin of defeat at home when the New Jersey Devils won by a score of 9-0; Devils forwards John Madden and Randy McKay tied records for most goals by a player against the Pens by scoring four each
- Pittsburgh tied a team record for power play goals in an away game against the Calgary Flames by scoring five
- Mario Lemieux scored his 33rd career hat trick against New Jersey Devils Martin Brodeur
- Ron Francis scored his 1000th career NHL point against the Quebec Nordiques
- the Penguins acquired George Ferguson and a first round choice in the 1983 Entry Draft from the Minnesota North Stars in exchange for Ron Meighan and Anders Hakansson
- the Penguins traded Billy Dea to the Detroit Red Wings in exchange for Mike McMahon
TODAY’S PENGUINS TRIVIA QUESTION:
Who are the only three players who have played for the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Pittsburgh Phantoms (Roller Hockey International)?
Find out tomorrow!
ANSWER (to yesterday’s TRIVIA QUESTION – CLICK HERE to view it):
#3 and #56
Do you have a trivia question that could be featured on this page or am I missing a major Penguins historical fact for one of the “On This Date” posts?? BE SURE to leave a comment below OR email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!!
Stephanie Lewark is a featured Pittsburgh Penguins columnist for RantSports.com. If you enjoy her articles / posts, you can follow her on Twitter (@steelcitysports), check out her personal Facebook page (via Networked Blogs), visit her personal Tumblr page, or stop by her Pinterest page.