After going 0-2 during the weekend’s games, the Philadelphia Flyers will look to get on the win column Tuesday night against their division rival New Jersey Devils. The Flyers will also seek revenge after being eliminated from playoff contention by the Devils in five games last season. New Jersey will play their first home game of the 2013 shortened season in front of the sea of red.
Flyers (0-2-0) at Devils (1-0-0)
Prudential Center, Newark, NJ.
- Tough guy Zac Rinaldo will miss at least one week after suffering a lacerated thigh.
- Daniel Briere continues to work his way back from a sprained wrist, but will be out for this game. He could see the ice on Thursday.
- Rookie Tye McGinn has been called up to possibly step in for the injured Rinaldo.
- The Flyers special teams unit has been the reason behind their recent struggles. They have killed just four of nine penalties thus far, and have only scored one power play goal on numerous attempts. Offensively, they need to put the puck on net and let their big bodies cause havoc in front, rather than trying too many cute passes.
- Goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov has been very solid through the first two games, despite what the numbers say. He looks much more poised and confident between the pipes. The defense, as expected, has been shaky to say the least.
- It may not be a “must win” game, but Tuesday night’s matchup is important, as Sunday’s contest against the Buffalo Sabres kicked off a stretch of six of seven away from Wells Fargo.
- Defenseman Bruno Gervais will take the spot of newly signed Kurtis Foster, who was given a maintenance day.
- Adam Henrique continues to be sidelined with a torn ligament in his left thumb. Henrique says he is “a week to 10 days” away from being ready to go.
- The Devils will raise their 2011-12 Eastern Conference banner before the game.
- Like the Flyers, New Jersey also has a new captain in defenseman Bryce Salvador.
- CSN Philly, NBC Sports Network.
- 93.3 WMMR