In advance of an exciting weekend of high school hoops up ahead, here are the weekend games to watch from around the country. Enjoy! And if you are in the area of any of these games be sure to check out some of the best young basketball talent in the country.
* No. 1 [Academy Top 10] Huntington Prep (W.Va.) vs. Memphis East (Tenn.):
No. 1 ranked recruit Andrew Wiggins and a talented cast at Huntington Prep (5-0) will face a tough challenge to their no. 1 seed against Tennessee’s defending AAA state champions at the Marshall County Hoopfest. The Mustangs have strong talent as well; they are led by Memphis Tigers pledge Nick King, a 6-foot-7 forward.
* No. 2 Fort Bend Travis (Richmond, Texas) vs. Ballard (Louisville, Ky.):
Travis (3-0) has twins Aaron and Andrew Harrison scoring over 20 points per game. The Tigers may need somebody else to step up big , because Ballard is a definite contender for the Kentucky state championship.
* No. 4 [Academy Top 10] Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Va.) vs. No. 9 Southwind (Memphis, Tenn.):
Oak Hill Academy (8-0) has won 52 games in a row heading into the weekend. They took down After taking down Curie (Chicago) on Friday, the Warriors will go to play Southwind (4-0) on Saturday in Kentucky.
* No. 6 Lone Peak (Highland, Utah) vs. No. 13 Proviso East (Maywood, Ill.):
Lone Peak (1-0) opened their season Wednesday with a 79-59 win over Brighton (Salt Lake City), which happened to be the same team it beat for the 5A state title last season. Proviso East will do their best against Lone Peak the Chicago Elite Classic. Their main advantage? The game is on their home floor.
* No. 8 Whitney Young (Chicago) vs. DeMatha (Hyattsville, Md.):
The Dolphins only have just two seniors on the roster, but with top Center prospect Jahlil Okafor (6’10”) and company they should be able to get a big win at the Chicago Elite Classic.
* No. 20 White Station (Memphis, Tenn.) vs. Hall (Little Rock, Ark.):
White Station (4-1) will need to be focused, because they are playing on the road and don’t want to slip out of the top 25.
Have a game that you think we missed on this list? Rant your comments below.