X

Have feedback / suggestions? Let us know!

Soccer Premier League

Soccer Rumors: Scott Sinclair Transfer to Manchester City in Doubt

The reported transfer of Scott Sinclair from Swansea to Manchester City may not occur, Swansea’s chairman has stated to a Welsh media outlet.

Reports of Sinclair’s possible transfer came during the weekend as Manchester City sought a left-wing replacement for Adam Johnson, who transferred to Sunderland on a $15 million transfer last week. City reportedly offered about $10 million for Sinclair, an offer which English media reports said Swansea had accepted.

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins, however, told BBC Radio Wales on Monday his club had not accepted the bid. He also expressed his exasperation with Manchester City’s handling of matters, saying he believed “it has dragged on too long.” City officials previously stated they had hoped to have talks with Swansea and Sinclair completed before Friday’s 11 p.m. close of the transfer window.

Rumors, with several clubs named, about a potential transfer for Sinclair surfaced during the summer when he refused to sign a new contract with Swansea. He has 10 months remaining on his current contract.

Sinclair scored the final goal in Swansea’s opening 5-0 victory over Queens Park Rangers, but was not in the Saturday’s lineup when the Swans defeated West Ham United. Sinclair helped Swansea gain promotion to the Premier League in 2010-11 when he tallied 19 goals. He had eight goals last season.

In anticipation of what might still be Sinclair’s likely departure, Swansea has made an offer to Championship side Blackpool of about $6.5 million for Tom Ince after having a smaller offer rejected. While it is unknown if Swansea ultimately will need Ince, Blackpool manager Ian Holloway was blunt when he said he wants to keep the son of former England captain Paul Ince: “It’s a total waste of time.”

The 20-year-old Ince, who arrived from Liverpool at the beginning of last season, has helped Blackpool open the season with three victories. He scored twice in its opening win over Millwall and had two more goals Saturday in a 6-0 rout of Ipswich Town. Ince is in the second year of a two-year contract, which has an option for a third season next year. He refused to sign a new contract during the summer.

According to Holloway, Ince’s father informed him of Tom’s desire to stay at Blackpool, a request Holloway says he wants to fulfill. He told the Blackpool Gazette that Swansea could offer “a zillion million pounds if they want,” but he would advise Blackpool officials not to accept any offer.