Jeff Shull
New York Giants, Houston Texans, Texas A&M Football Featured Columnist

The Texas A&M Aggies are entering a season with the most promise since perhaps the 1998 season—the year they won their one and only Big 12 title.

In both the preseason AP and Coaches poll, the Aggies are ranked No. 9 and third among Big 12 schools, only behind their division rivals one state to the North.

But as fans of our beloved maroon and white, how can we not head in to this season with worry in our heads? What sort of heart break are we going to be served up this year?

The previous decade of football was not up to Texas A&M standards. After a wildly successful period in the 90s, the 2000s were full of over hyped teams that never lived up to the bill.

The most promising start to any season was easily 2005. It was Reggie McNeal’s Senior year, the Aggies had plenty of other returning starters, and they were ranked in the top 25 at No. 17.

The season did not go as planned. Dennis Franchione fell in love with his option offense and did not utilize McNeal’s stellar attributes as a passer. They started the season 5-2, but fell short in the final month of the season that included blowout losses to Iowa State and Texas Tech.

The only positive thing the Aggies could hang their hat on was the play of freshman QB Stephen McGee, who played for the “injured” McNeal in the Texas Game.

The Aggies hung with the eventual national champs blow for blow, but ultimately came up short 30-36.

So with the Aggies returning 18 starters (but losing Von Miller and Michael Hodges), including every major weapon on the offensive side of the ball, can this finally be the season when A&M takes the next leap into an elite program?

One would certainly hope so. Ryan Tannehill started half the season and led the Aggies to five straight wins before bowing out in the Cotton Bowl against LSU.

The win streak included a record setting 449 yards against Texas Tech, which also happened to be his first start ever.

He led the Aggies to great wins, including home victories over Nebraska and Oklahoma and a stomping of our rival Texas in Austin.

This year our boys in maroon will have to find a way to win on the road if they want any post season glory. With tough road contests against Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and Kansas State to go along with the target of a top 10 preseason team, you can bet teams will give the Aggies their A game each and every week.

Tannehill will also have to tailor his own expectations and focus on team goals—though I’m sure he would love to win a Heisman, Reggie McNeal showed what it can be like with that kind of pressure in Aggie Land.

He’s a sleeper target behind Oklahoma’s Landry Jones and Oklahoma State’s Brandon Weedon, but make no mistake Tannehill has a chance to put up some monster numbers.

Coach Sherman was an offensive line coach in the glory days of A&M Football; maybe he can remind fans what those times were like in 2011.

Buy Texas A&M Football Tickets | Buy Texas A&M Football Apparel
Connect with Rant Sports
Get more Traffic

Leave a Rant

Agree? Disagree? Have a different opinion? Let us know what you think...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!