In the final stage of fantasy 101, I rate the top 5 defenses entering the 2012 fantasy football season:
1) San Francisco 49ers: In 2011, the 49ers were the best defense by far and look for that to continue. They did not lose any key players on defense and that’s a main reason their success will continue. The 49ers don’t have a lot of big names on defense, but their players gel very well together and that’s all you need.
2) Baltimore Ravens: The Ravens are always in the top rankings when it comes to defense. Led by middle linebacker Ray Lewis and safety Ed Reed. The Ravens did take a big blow this off-season when OLB Terrell Suggs suffered and injury that may keep him out until December or even longer. It’s only 1 player, but 1 player can hurt your team. I still do see the Ravens as a top defense for the upcoming season.
3) Philadelphia Eagles: The Eagles were suppose to have a top defense last year, but didn’t. I expect that to change as more chemistry builds. The Eagles have one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL led by Nnamdi Asomygha . He did not have a good year by his standards, but looks for him next year. Also, he has a great CB on the opposite side of him Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie who is pretty good too.
4) Pittsburgh Steelers: Just like the Ravens, the Steelers always seem to be on this list. Their defense is getting older, but that does not matter as they will still put the heat on offenses. The Steelers are led by 2 great safetices … Troy Polamalu (if he does in fact stay healthy) and Ryan Clark. The Steelers can stop the run and pass, so watch out.
5) Chicago Bears: Just like the Steelers are aging and I had to say that as I’m a big Bear fan. Their window is closing on defense as Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs and Julius Peppers aren’t getting younger. If the Bears can stop the pass, they could take over the top spot. They will stop the run and pass shutdown has to be there.
If I were to do the top 7 defenses, I would have had the Houston Texans 6th and the New York Giants 7th.
Well, that wraps up fantasy 101 for the main fantasy positions!