MLB Draft 2013 Results Video: Mark Appel Goes No. 1
As arguably the top prospect in the 2013 MLB Draft, Jonathan Gray “fell” all the way to the third overall pick on Thursday night after the Houston Astros made Stanford right-hander Mark Appel the first overall pick. Turns out returning to the Cardinal for his senior season and college degree wasn’t a bad decision after all.
The Chicago Cubs were the biggest winner in the first round as they split the top two pitchers at No. 2 with University of San Diego third baseman Kris Bryant, who was the top position player in this year’s draft. Chicago needs a future at that corner infield spot and the Cubs got their man in Bryant.
4. Minnesota Twins: Kohl Stewart, RHP, Houston-area high school
6. Miami Marlins: Colin Moran, 3B, North Carolina
7. Boston Red Sox: Trey Ball, LHP, Indiana high school
8. Kansas City Royals: Hunter Dosier, SS, Stephen F. Austin University
10. Toronto Blue Jays: Phil Bickford, RHP, Oaks Christian High School in Westlake, California
Of course, it remains to be seen which of these future stars will make a splash in the big leagues first, but hey, that’s the way baseball goes.