Top 5 Heisman Trophy Candidates

Published: 6th Nov 11 1:22 pm
Tweet
by Riley Schmitt
Big 10 Editor, NBA Featured Columnist
Top 5 Heisman Trophy Candidates

1 of 6
With the college football season beginning to wind down, there have been some tremendous performances by many players.  With just a few regular season weeks remaining, the race for the Heisman Trophy is coming down to the wire.  In this article, I'll bring you my top 5 candidates for the Heisman Trophy based on their performances so far this year.

Connect with Rant Sports
Get more Traffic

76 Rants to “Top 5 Heisman Trophy Candidates”

1. Bill C. says:

Not a happy camper ! BSU’s Kellen Moore should be at the top of that list ! His stats speak for themselfs ! He is accurate as H#$% and rarely throws an interception. He knows how to play the game at the highest level possible.

• Chuck says:

On Kellen Moore, why would you consider a player who has never had a chance or deserved a chance to play for the national championship as a Heisman candidate? Stop whining you delusional Boise fans.

• Riley Schmitt says:

You might have just opened a giant can of worms Chuck. I think I already am barred from the city.

• AJ Gray says:

Kellen Moore has the most winns of any QB in NCAA History… He was invited last year as a canidate… You seem pretty bias towards BSU… Whats your problem???

• Riley Schmitt says:

Jesus, everyone here thinks I’m running around with an I Hate Boise t-shirt on. i don’t hate Boise but I can see why plenty of people across the nation do.

• R. Banksy says:

I have liked TM7 since last season but he fell off these last couple of weeks and I would not look at him as a candidate at this point. I still like the kid though. While I don’t condone cheapshots ever I knew Fitzpatrick was barking up the wrong tree when he kept trash talking to TM7 throughout the game. Once again I state that I would not consider TM7 a Heisman candidate. Nevertheless, these LSU Tigers don’t back down from NO ONE! ROAR!

• Jane says:

I think Mathieu’s poor behavior should take him out of contention for the Heisman…clothslining? Come on man, what are we trying to do here, break necks, kill people? I love this enthusiasm but sometimes he goes overboard.

2. Linda Boehm says:

The most all-time winning quarter back, Kellen Moore of the Boise State Broncos doesn’t even get a mention!! It all belongs to the BCS schools!! Typical.

• Riley Schmitt says:

wasn’t aware Houston was a BCS school. Dropped Moore to add more balance to the list. Didnt want 3 quarterbacks on it and I went Keenum over Moore.

• JsP says:

Kinda silly to seek “balance” to a top 5 list. Top 5 means just that. If in your opinion, the five best are all QBs, you should list them. Just shows how we writers often blow it when trying to appeal to readers…

• Sky Master says:

Hey Schmitt… I just have two questions for you..
        1. looking at your picture.. ARE YOU 12?
        2. reading your article and reply… ARE YOU AN IDIOT?

I don’t think we’ll see you reading for SI, Sporting News, or ESPN.

I totally agree with JsP….see below… maybe he writes for one of the three

3. Sheila Gorman says:

Tyrann Mathieu is such a loser!!! Why would anyone reward that piece of Sh*t with the Heisman? That award is for the BEST ALL AROUND PLAYER AND CHARACTER! Tyrann has NO character, he is a bully and a coward, sacrificing his team for his own personal wants. That is not a player who deserves any press time, he is a man with a criminal record, and he isnt even out of college yet!! LOSER LOSER LOSER!

• Riley Schmitt says:

Sheila,

Calling a 20 year old a kid a loser for one drug offense is way too reactionary. How many college kids do you know that have run ins with the law? Probably numerous ones. It was an idiotic move to do, but its quite possible that it was a terrible error in judgment. No college kids are immune to that.

I

• Sky Master says:

Hey Schmitt… How many “drug convictions” or “run ins with the law” does Kellen Moore have?….Answer: ZERO!!!

Don’t ever come to Boise, ID. using your real name.

• Riley Schmitt says:

Oh I’ll come to Boise. I’ll wear a giant nametag that says who I am. If you think that this list would be a cause for violence or a need for a threat to my well-being, I have nothing to say to you.

• Tony V says:

Riley, some of these guys come off as pretty immature in their attacks on you, which is not cool at all. However you really are off on Case Keenum versus Kellen Moore. Do you even watch the Boise games? Kellen gets his stats most games in 2 to 2.5 quarters, then is pulled, meanwhile, in watching the Houston games, they keep Keenum in late or all game just padding his stats, even in blowouts… that’s how you get 9 td’s. Check out their stats when you adjust for minutes played. Also, the class Boise has in pulling Kellen so they don’t run up the score any further by mid 3rd quarter in 95% of games, meanwhile Case is still out there running up the stats.

I don’t think Kellen Moore is all world or anything, but you do need to adjust for the number of quarters played, for sure in comparing their stats. It’s not Kellen’s fault that Boise also has a great D and their team is therefore way out in front quickly and with little chance of anyone coming back on them, so he sees very limited minutes.

• AC says:

Tyran Mathieu should be suspended again for his cheapshot forearm that injured Dre Fitzpatrick and knocked him out of the game. This type of play should not be rewarded with any mention as a Heisman candidate. This kid is a disgrace to college football.

• Kyle says:

Even if you ignore the drugs, did you see the cheap shot on Kirkpatrick in the Alabama game? Please take a look.

4. Chris Finley says:

Before the Bama game I would agree with Mathieu. After watching the thug put a mugging on Kirkpatrick on the punt return he’s off my list due to a lack of class. He’s probably due for another suspension (non-drug-related this time) once the SEC checks it out. He hasn’t had much of an impact in the games I’ve seen recently.

• Captmimo says:

Agreed our choice in trophy canidates should have some standards even considering a known drug user that has to cheat with dirty shots during a game should not even be an option. It would certainly tarnish the pride and the and honor represented by such an award should Mathieu win it. Shame on your choice there.

• Riley Schmitt says:

Newton won the Heisman while Auburn was undergoing a MASSIVE investigation into his recruitment to the school. The team actually ruled him ineligible to play. So that investigation wouldn’t tarnish it? Or Reggie Bush?

• tiger fan says:

I think TM7 has much growing up to do. Afraid his aggressive play could be negative if not properly focused. But he is a heck of a player. LSU coaches need to counsel him. Geaux Tigers

• Divrdwn41 says:

Chris, I agree completely. If there is not a penalty of some sort for such a blatant action something is wrong with the SEC. And I agree that Mathieu has shown enough with his criminal offense and his lack of judgment in gameplay that he should not be in any talks for an award of any sort.

• Riley Schmitt says:

Mathieu has also been one of the best, if not the best, defensive player this year. I also stated on his slide that he probably has no shot since his suspension.

He made a bad mistake in a game. He doesn’t have a history of reckless hits, so why is everyone raking him over the coals for one play? One play doesn’t define a player.

• marshall says:

Hey Riley, I totaly agree with you on most of your replies and think you have done a good job of holding your own with some very angry and unfair words spoke to you! GOOD JOB MAN!

• Kyle says:

Ok so we ignore the drugs and we ignore the cheap shots? Wow! I guess Reggie Bush got a raw deal after all. The bar is getting pretty low.

5. terryc says:

if the winningest gb in ncaa all time fball isnt on your list why would i take stake in the oppion of the back yard KELLEN MOORE

• Riley Schmitt says:

Because he’s not playing better than Case Keenum. I flipped back and forth on Moore/Mathieu and stuck with a defensive player.

• Relssek says:

I saw Case Keenum play last week in the rain and he threw for 9 TDs. It was raining and he was absolutely on target and has a great arm. He understands the defenses because he picked them apart. The Cougars would beat 7 out of the top ten teams in the BCS poll.

6. James McLoughlin says:

Sheila, is that all you could come up with, should I just assume you are an Alabama fan or racist, Opps, forgot, if you are from Alabama that means both. Why don’t you A–Holes go talk to some other past winners like Reggie Bush and Cam Nuteon, there are BCS schools who let rapist keep playing ball for them, so what kind of major criminal is Mathieu… smoke weed?

• ehatcher68 says:

Wow! James, the pot calling the kettle black…..oooops, I hope you don’t take that as racist…..but you probably will. Sheila is right and I am a LSU fan. He should be suspended by LSU, much less the SEC,NCAA for that cheap shot. That is what it was, it was dirty and I thought he should have been ejected from the game….Weed, aside. His name should not be even related to the Heisman.

• Fig333 says:

James,
      You lost me on the racism and A-hole BS! Whats your comments on Matheiu’s illegal hit?
      Fig

7. MAY PATTERSON says:

KELLEN MOORE SHOULD BE THE ONE TO GET THE AWARD. HE IS THE BEST OF THE BEST BUT JUST DOESN’T COME FROM ONE OF THOSE BIG NAME COLLEGES.

• Riley Schmitt says:

Case Keenum has better numbers and he goes to Houston. Look it up.

• Robert Barker says:

Case has better numbers because he’s p[laying the entire game. If you look at Kellen’s minutes played, most games he’s pulled sometime in the Third quarter, because he has such a huge lead. If Peterson were to play him all snaps, all four quarters, his numbers would equal or better Case’s.

• J. J. says:

Keenum is the 2nd coming of Andre Ware and David Klinger, during the run and shoot days of the early 90′s. Klinger threw for 706 yards in a game, he didn’t win the Heisman (deservedly so). Playstation-type numbers running up the score isn’t Heisman worthy, that’s why I’m not in support of Landry Jones at Oklahoma.

8. C R Blackwell says:

Riley, you are an idiot for suggesting Honey Badger for Heisman, he should have been injected from the game Saturday for what he did to Kirkpatrick, more so he probly should have not been allowed to play for failing the drug test. And you suggest Heisman “WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING”!!!!

9. Joe Smith says:

If a player is good, he is on offense, not reacting on defense. Kellen Moore? You’ve got to be kidding me. I hope you only make one dollar a day for your insight, even then you are a thief!

• Riley Schmitt says:

So you’re saying everyone who plays offense is extremely better at football than anyone who plays defense?

10. MajorHassle says:

Luck, he sucks…He will not make it in the show… the boy from Houston, so so…He’s no Billy Simms, Barry Sanders, Steve Owens, Hershal Walker, Walter Peyton, or Gale Sayers… G.J. Kenny from Tulsa would have matched up, but he’s out and hurt… Landry Jones from OU, he screwed up against Tech… but then you missed OSU’s QB, Brandon Weeden… yes, he’s an old guy, but he can play… his go to guy, WR Blackmon, damned good reciever, but so is the whole recieving core of O State…

This years choices seem weak… sort of a ho hum year… and the kid from Boise, try playing in the SEC, B-12, or B-10… or maybe he shouldn’t, he might get a concussion…

11. Mark says:

If you bothered to look at the BSU games, you would know Kellen gets pulled out of most the games in the third quarter. The coach doesn’t believe in running up the scores like your favorite teams do. If Kellen was in all the games to the end his #s would blow all the other QBs stats. Just look at game time and you will see he does his #s when everyone on the other team is fresh. You just look at basic #s and say hey I am a writer, NOT!!!

12. Honey Badger for president says:

No Boise doesn’t play a hard schedule. Yes they did beat Georgia, barely but a win is a win. They stand no chance with any other top 10 teams except for maybe Standford. Moore should be thinkful for the fact of no BCS bowls because he would have some loses. It will show this year when they do end up with a BCS bowl I hope they play LSU, Arkansas or Alabama so maybe you Boise fans will just settle and admit your not ready. Its no shame differently caliper schools totally different level. Yes at the Honey Badger is a great player. Worth mentioning he earned that nick name. Was it a cheap shot in punt return yes but not a habit. Tempers was high and got carried away. Yes he voliated drug policy. Fake weed I guess it safe to say all you talking about him and hating on him never puffed on a joint before are did anything volient any policy before. Grow up give credit where it is due. I will you say an undeafted Boise BCS championship shot give it to them. Remember 07 the rainbow warriors bcs bowl bid with Georgia. I do, I feel a similar situation. Yes Boise beat Georgia. Not the same Georgia.

• Tony V says:

Honey Badger for president, are you an idiot? Boise has been in 3 BCS bowls in the past 4 years, dolt, just not the championship game. They are always in the mix for the BCS series these days. You are so ignorant. They have won them as well, including over top schools from the East and Midwest BCS auto qualifier conferences.

13. Kyle says:

I’m alright with the picks, but not really sold on Keenum yet. He might put up numbers that are out of this world, but he doesn’t really play any good defenses. Kellen Moore would have been my pick instead of Keenum, but I don’t think either is deserving of the Heisman. Moore (and Boise State) has shown that he can beat good teams with good defenses (Oregon twice, Georgia, TCU). Smoking weed and the dirty block on Saturday aside, Mathieu is a hell of a defensive player. Everyone makes dumb decisions. NO ONE is perfect.

14. Pedro says:

Number 7 took himself out of contention with the cheap shot he delivered Saturday night!! No candidate has ever won after such a flagrant foul. His team won the ball game , however he would have been ejected if he was playing on Sunday!!

15. TRUTH says:

Richardson still had a 100 + yard game against the #2 defense in the country The only defense to prove a better challenge would be against his own .

16. Don says:

Kellen Moore has sat on the bench for most of the second half of games he has won, for 4 years! He didn’t need to finish with 9 or 10 TD’s because coach Petersen wouldn’t allow that. Plus the fact that Moore has won more games than anybody, and that speaks louder than mere yards. I found it weird that we would hear about Keenan’s Yards record over the winingest QB for all time in the history of College Football.

• Charles says:

You hear about yards record over winning because the issue is individual records vs team records. Kellen Moore winning record is not only attributed to him but his whole team. Whereas his individual records are attributed to him mostly, but not solely. The same holds for all players. The tendency is to compare team records and individual records. This is the proverbial apples and oranges comparison.

17. Don says:

Your timing sucks. (You decided to downgrade Moore who just set the record for being the winningest college QB of all time!)! The hate runs deep in your world to do something like that.

• Riley Schmitt says:

I don’t hate Moore. I honestly believe that he’ll be in New York instead of either Blackmon or Mathieu. However, like I stated earlier, I like balance in my lists.

18. Ken C. says:

I have a rule change proposal that will help curb the likes of Mathieu. Anytime a player is ruled for a flagerant personal foul, they must also sit out the next three downs. Also, if the player that they fouled is hurt, the player committing the foul, must also sit out either the same number of plays that the injured player is out plus the three downs mentioned above, or the rest of the game. This rule would help reduce players who have the mentality that I need to hurt the opposing player and coaches who teach the same, because they would lose their own player was well. I would like to see this in the pros as well as college and high school.

19. Bozzy says:

Lotta BSU nutswinggers on here I see lol!. Case has set THREE records in 3 games. There is no comparison. UH has scored over 49 points/game for the last SIX games. Would they score as much against BCS teams? No, but they have a powerful enough offense to be a top ten contender. Back to the subject, Case deserves the trophy in every way possible, career and season stats. Too bad it’s all political and he doesn’t stand a chance to a bigger conference.

20. steven says:

You should be ashamed. Dre Kirkpatrick, the CB for Alabama, is easily the best d-back in college football and will be one of the first 5 players taken in the draft. After watching tyrann mathieu, on EVERY special teams play, hold him, throw elbows, trip, etc., you finally saw that punk, from behind cause Dre had outran him AGAIN, grab Dre Kirkpatrick’s helmet and deliberatly try to hurt Dre. And you put that piece of garbage on a heisman list? My contempt is absolute.

• ou812 says:

YOU’RE FULL OF IT BUDDY!! He wasn’t the only one talking shit, your guys talked just as much shit as our’s did! Tyran made ONE mistake on the field (never happened before this) as it wasn’t intentional just a mistake that MANY PLAYERS have once in the speed of the game! YOUR JUST PISSED OFF BECAUSE WE CAME IN YOUR HOUSE AND BEAT YOU, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!

21. ou812 says:

Hey Riley, I think you have done a good job fighting off some rude and unfair comments toward you personally but i have one question for you. You say in several of the five paragraphs of the canidates that you have listed as the most likely or most deserving players that they stand a better chance of winning the Heisman if they MAKE the TITLE GAME but doesn’t the Heisman award get chosen before the TITLE GAME?

• Riley Schmitt says:

Making the BCS title game will look better on a resume. If you are the best player on a team playing in the title game it has more of an impact than if you arent. I know the Heisman is decided before the BCS game

22. MrH says:

Who Cares if Boise State Beat Georgia? Georgia hasn’t really been good in years.

i think it should always go to the most unstoppable OFFENSIVE player.

Hence…. Justin Blackmon

Boise State is a JOKE! Put them in the SEC or Big12 and they won’t get above 500 on a yearly basis

23. ou812 says:

Hey Riley, you say for 3 players on your list that if they play in the BCS Championship game that this would give them a better shot at winning the Heisman, if i’m not mistaken The Heisman Trophy Award is chosen before the Title game, right or wrong?

24. Alex says:

I Like the list it’s very diverse and I like to discuss a few things about if you don’t mind

1. People hating on Tyrann Mathieu aka the Honey Badger if people don’t remember Jack Tatum was legendary for clothesline tackling receivers and made it an art form Mathieu is the best defense player on the best team it’s obvious people will vote for him to get to New York.

2.Case Keenum is better than Kellen Moore, yes Moore has more victories but look who he is playing last year it was Virginia Tech who would lost the very next week against James Madison and now Georgia who yes will probably play LSU in the SEC Championship Game but who else on Boise’s schedule strikes fear into any BCS conference foe the answer…. No one that’s why Boise keeps falling in the polls because their schedule is soft as a marshmallow.

3.Justin Blackmon has played like a man possessed here’s a noteworthy stat line in two weeks Justin has 30 receptions 500 receiving yards and six touchdowns and again that is only a small sampling I don’t know if it’s the system or the player but Blackmon deserves a shot at New York.

4.Trent Richardson has shown he deserves to be in New York as well as numerous times in the game against LSU, Richardson would burst large runs out of the best team in the nation which is no easy task he has also done marvelously as Alabama has been damn near perfect with him as the workhouse having to carry the offensive load.

5.Andrew Luck was probably the only Heisman Candidate at the start of the season and he has shown to still be at the top of the class as the Stanford Cardinals remain perfect as Luck has showed even when picked six upon him by USC he still came to rally the troops and trojans.

25. JTOP says:

Picking 5 is tough. I like the list…but I also like Moore. I like RBG3 a lot…he deserves a mention, for sure. Mathieu is really good; so is Clairborne. I think that I like Reid the best though…

26. J. J. says:

My Top 5 Heisman (call me old school, its about the best players, not the best player on the best team)

1. Justin Blackman (Oklahoma St.) – right now the BEST player in college period. He would even get numbers on LSU’s corners.
    2. Andrew Luck (Stanford) – He’s steady. He needs the one incredible game to put him over the hump.
    3. Trent Richardson (Alabama) – even though they lost, still rushed for nearly 100 yards against the best D in the country, who were all about shutting him down.
    4. Kellen Moore (Boise St.) – Yes he’s the winningiest QB ever, but is he the BEST player in college football this year?
    5. Robert Griffin III (Baylor) – the numbers and performances have been extraordinary, even on a so-so team.

27. Hernandez says:

Kellen Moore shouldn’t even be in the Heisman Talk, He has no competition in the conference he’s in right now.

28. Jim says:

Andrew Luck seems to be getting negative vibes because of his weak competition level.

You can”t go wrong voting for se conference.

The judgement-5 years in PRO’S
    and who made the most money.

Leave a Rant

Agree? Disagree? Have a different opinion? Let us know what you think...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!